Monday, December 14, 2015

In a Vase on Monday: A First


I have never met Cathy at Rambling in the Garden, host of the blog meme, In a Vase on Monday. I've never participated in the meme before today, but I'm familiar with it because of someone I have met.

Everything looks as if it was created expressly for Loree's garden - the plants,
the containers, the structures... She is an incredibly talented designer.

"Careful, you could poke an eye out."

Loree Bohl, who lives and gardens in Portland, Ore., has posted her version of the meme a dozen or so times. When the Garden Bloggers Fling was held in Portland in 2014, I was privileged to get to see her garden - Danger Garden - in all its spiky glory. I've long been a fan of her blog and seeing all those glorious plants in person as well as her edgy design was one of the highlights of that trip.

I don't often cut things from my garden, preferring instead to enjoy them in their natural setting. But today, as we were experiencing way above normal temperatures for the middle of December, I got the urge to go out and cut whatever I thought might go together in a vase. On Monday.

Because I don't cut things from my garden, I'm not the most accomplished flower arranger. Those things take practice. But I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. It even looks a little Christmas-y, though that wasn't the intent.

Red is the accent color in our kitchen and dining area. Chihuly's Burned Ikebana hangs on the wall, and photos of grandchildren Anthony and Hannah keep a
handmade angel (by mom) company on the mid-century buffet.




I worked hard to find something in bloom, impossible at this time last year, which had us with several inches of snow on the ground. Though we were at nearly 70° on Saturday and Sunday this year, it will be a couple of days yet before the fall self-seeded Calendula blooms open up.








But there were some wonderful things out there just the same. I used:

  • Panicum virgatum 'Northwind'
  • Baptisia Twilite Prairieblues™
  • Washington hawthorn (Crataegus phaenopyrum)
  • Colorado blue spruce (Picea pungens)
  • Sweet autumn clematis (Clematis terniflora)
  • Coral bells (Heuchera 'Tiramisu')


The vase is one of a set of three that I purchased at West Elm in Austin, Texas,
when Jenny Peterson and I were working our book,
Indoor Plant Decor: The Design Stylebook For Houseplants

I doubt I'll participate in In a Vase on Monday again until spring comes along and I've got something different to choose from the garden for cutting. But you can follow along at Cathy's blog here.

Thanks, Loree, for inspiring me to play.


5 comments:

Beth @ PlantPostings said...

Nicely done, Kylee! And your photographs are lovely, too. I love the vase and the decorations at the base, as well. Bravo!

danger garden said...

Indeed, nicely done, you've got more design talent than you're giving yourself credit for! Isn't it fun to have something like this, from the garden, in your house? A great time of the year for it too. I'm so glad you joined in the fun! Oh - and you took such nice photos in my garden! It looks nothing like that now, all grey and drowning. Hopefully come spring things will dry out and I can clean it up.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Beautiful vase and display. I actually participate every week....it has been great creative fun finding materials growing indoors and out even sometimes just seedheads or rose petals....with our extended fall the flowers here were still blooming through early December. Glad you dipped your toes in Kylee....I adore Loree's creations too!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I think this is such a fun meme. I really like your seasonal arrangement.

Jenny said...

I love this arrangement! I'll be checking out the other arrangements on Mondays as well.

blogger templates | Make Money Online