Saturday, December 19, 2015

I've Never Met an Anemone I Didn't Like


I've grown spring anemones, summer anemones and fall anemones. They have been ivory, white, red, pink, and purple. The fact that their flowers are daisy-like are probably one reason I love them so much, with white daisies being my favorite flower of all time. (Well, that's what I'll tell you today. Next week, it's likely to be something else.)

I got a new one that I planted this fall - Anemone nemerosa 'Bracteata Pleniflora' - and it's a spring ephemeral. That means it will come up in the spring, flower, and then disappear with the heat of summer, never to be heard from again until the next spring.

http://pnwplants.wsu.edu/PlantDisplay.aspx?PlantID=804
Wood Anemone (Anemone nemerosa 'Bracteata Pleniflora')
Photo: Washington State University


When my "bulbs" arrived from Easy to Grow Bulbs, my first thought was, "These are bulbs???" They're actually rhizomes. To be honest, they reminded me of some of my red wigglers that sometimes escape from my worm bin in my office and can't find their way back home. Three days later.

See what I did there?  ;-)

The included planting instructions said I should soak them in lukewarm water for about 3 hours or so, prior to planting. But as I often do, when soaking is recommended, I used Annie Haven's Moo Poo Tea. That's what everyone calls it, but its official product name is Haven's Natural Brew. Soaking bulbs is just one of the things it's good for. I also use it as a nutrient-rich drench for my houseplants about once a month, and in my garden as a soil conditioner.



After soaking, I planted the anemone rhizomes in a location that's part shade and I'm hoping for some of those beautiful semi-double blooms come spring.



3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This reminds me that I should plant more this year, or as the weather has been maybe next year

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Now I have never seen a bulb like that either...what a beautiful flower these will make.

Beth @ PlantPostings said...

Sounds like a great strategy! I'll look forward to your posts about your new Anemones next spring!

blogger templates | Make Money Online