Wednesday, March 14, 2007

- BREAKING NEWS -


HAVILAND, OH -- At 5:20 p.m. EDT today, the first bloom of the season was spotted by Romie. Even though Kylee had spent several hours in the gardens throughout the day, cleaning up leaves and pruning dead away, she failed to notice the quiet appearance of the Double Snowdrop (Galanthus nivalus).

Once the discovery had been made, Kylee grabbed the camera as she flew out of the house to take a look. The sight of the miniature bloom brought her to her knees. While she was down there, she snapped these photos, in order to record the event for posterity:






















Kylee reported, "I just couldn't believe I didn't notice this! I've been going over the gardens with a fine-toothed comb for several days now, looking for this very thing! Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees. Oh well, the important thing is that this marks the beginning of the spring bulb season, a time we wait for all winter. The crocuses can't be far behind, and then there will be the tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths. This is a happy day indeed, and I encourage all Zone 5 gardeners to be vigilant so you don't miss this in your own gardens!"


Romie - a man of few words - simply smiled.


10 comments:

Earth Girl said...

Creative post and that first bulb blooming in zone 5 really is a news flash.

Linda said...

What beautiful photos of the first snowdrop. There isn't much blooming in my garden right now ... the snow cover has just vanished ... but there is hope ... as some new growth is appearing on the lilies, sedum and Egyptian Walking Onions.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hurray! Spring is on its way to you too! Lovely snowdrops and great pics. Well done Kylee. Love the post too, very funny!

Unknown said...

What a great post--and lovely pics of the snowdrop! I love the way they look, like one of those soft, old-fashioned stuffed bunnies with white ears hanging down... :)

Entangled said...

Beautiful pictures! I didn't think I liked double snowdrops, but yours changed my mind.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Lovely pictures and an enjoyable post! It doesn't seem fair somehow that we're both in zone 5 but I'm not expecting and blooms for a while yet. :)

kate said...

I loved reading about the discovery of your first snowdrop. I am envious! Though our scenery looks pretty much the same, I'm only a zone 3 - sigh!

Thanks for visiting my blog and giving suggestions for the chairs... I'll keep you posted on my progress!!

Beautiful pictures

Gotta Garden said...

Beautiful!! I have some coming "in the green" from Temple Nursery...I'm so excited!

(Doesn't it just figure someone else would find it first!!)

Can't wait to see your next discoveries!

Kerri said...

Romie is very handy to have around, isn't he? :) I love your double snowdrop!
I nearly missed this 'scoop'. Glad I caught it!

Kylee Baumle said...

Kerri ~ This was two years ago, but the pictures are timeless! ;-)

blogger templates | Make Money Online