Thursday, March 22, 2007

Butterflies in a Bowl - Part II


We are proud to announce that we are the parents of two healthy Painted Lady butterflies! Last night, when I came home from work, I immediately went to check on the chrysalises and they were still hanging there. One was definitely blacker than the other and blacker than it had been previously. I went outside to take care of some gardening business, and about half an hour later, Romie yelled out the window, "Hey! One of the butterflies hatched!"

I ran back in, and sure enough, the one whose chrysalis had turned dark had emerged. There was a bloody red liquid running down the side of the bowl and laying in the bottom, which I had read was normal. Butterfly #1 was on the bottom of the bowl, with wings folded together, sitting very still. I made up a solution of lemonade and put it in the lid of the container the caterpillars had come in, and placed it near the butterfly so it could eat when it felt like it. They like fresh orange slices, but I didn't have any, so fruit juice works well, too.



My mom's butterflies had hatched the day before, on Tuesday, so I knew our second one was probably not far behind in emerging. This was great, because I was done working for the week and I'd be home all day today to watch the second one come out. I checked on them every half an hour, to watch for jiggling, which would signal that emergence was beginning. Even though it takes only three minutes for them to wriggle out of the chrysalis, I figured I'd catch it happening by checking every half hour at least.

I went upstairs at about 12:30 p.m. to take a shower. I wasn't up there more than half an hour and when I came back downstairs and checked on the butterflies, there were TWO. I couldn't believe it. I'd missed it again. But I'm grateful for small and large favors, because we're leaving on a trip tomorrow, and we'll be gone a week. At least I got to see the newborn babies. And they're gorgeous of course. I know, all parents think that, but they really are.


In a matter of three short weeks, we'd gone from caterpillar to butterfly. Rather unbelievable if you haven't seen it with your own eyes. And we did.




*Due to our internet service being down for three days 3/21 - 3/23), and the fact that we will be in Florida until March 30th, this post and all subsequent posts through March 30th are being published in retrospect.


2 comments:

kate said...

Hope you are having a good trip!

I'll look forward to seeing your pics when you return.

The butterflies are beautiful.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Congratulations on the birth of your twins. :-) How pretty they look!

Have a great trip!

blogger templates | Make Money Online