Sunday, June 17, 2007

Blooming Now at Our Little Acre


In spite of being in desperate need of a good rain, there is no shortage of lovely blooms in the gardens. Some are smaller than normal, or fewer in number, but some years are like that and this is one of them. No matter how much we water with the hose, it's no substitute for good drenching rains at the right times.

It's times like this that make me grateful for drought-tolerant plants and natives that have been through this kind of thing for hundreds of years and keep plugging along. I don't think I'd ever have to water the echinacea, except for 'Sparkler' which is variegated. I've found it can't take the heat very well.

The daisies don't seem to be particularly thirsty either. And the sedums. You've got to love sedums in times like this. Of course, I don't have any pictures right now of the aforementioned. I do have these, though:

Zonal Geranium
Pelargonium


Balloon Flower
Platycodon grandiflorus 'Astra Semi-Double Lavender'


Daylily
Hemerocallis


Ivy Geranium
Pelargonium peltatum 'Blizzard'


Heliotrope
Heliotropium arborescens 'Marine'


Viola


Nemesia


Clematis 'Niobe'


Purple Shamrock
Oxalis regnellii


Icelandic Poppy
Papaver nudicaule
'Flamenco'


Spiderwort
Tradescantia ohiensis


Potentilla
Potentilla nepalensis 'Melton Fire'


Sundrops
Oenithera fruticosa


Viola


Sweet William
Dianthus barbatus


Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Disneyland'


Mountain Bluet
Centaurea montana 'Gold Bullion'


Red Creeping Thyme
Thymus praecox


Clematis
Clematis 'Jackmanii'


Cherry Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Sungold'


Iron Cross Oxalis
Oxalis tetraphylla


Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Nearly Wild'


Japanese Spiraea
Spiraea japonica 'Magic Carpet'


There are more things blooming, but these are what I have pictures of at the moment. There are so many that it's hard to keep up!

It's a good thing.


16 comments:

Alyssa said...

Beautiful pictures. My favorites are the gerainums in the haybaskets with the lovely sun decoration and the icelandic poppy.

The double ballon flowers are also especially nice and I may give them a try next year.

I've found that the sweet william rarely need to be watered either. The hardy native plants in this region are sometimes the only things that look nice by the end of summer.

Enjoying your blog . . .

Anonymous said...

oh, my! what gorgeous blooms!

we've had to put the sprinkler in the perennial bed because even the echinacea was hanging its leaves straight down and panting for dear life. the ground is cracking right up through the bark mulch in spots!

Seedling said...

Just beautiful, I don't even know where to begin! Your purple shamrock makes me nostalgic for mine... I had one last year and attempted to winter it over indoors to no avail. I tried growing balloon flower from seed this year and have only one, semi-promising seedling. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed after seeing yours. And I also posted my geranium this week. Of course that's all I posted since I don't have nearly as much in bloom right now!

Jean said...

What a wonderful bunch of blooms! You garden must be beautiful with all the colors. The orange rose is beautiful! Great pictures!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

My oh my, how gorgeous all those blooms look and you have so many of them.

Sweet William is such an old-fashioned but lovely looking and scented plant, don't you think? I have named one of my kittens after it. :-)

Shall I send some rain over to you? We've had 2 deluges so far today, a bit excessive, don't you think? If this keeps up I will have to give my plants swimming lessons. ;-)

Naturegirl said...

Absolutely stunning! You have many flowers that I also have in my garden!My colors are pinks blues/lavenders and white!Keep these images coming! I am in LoVe with my roses today! hugs NG

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Hey, Kylee,

You've outdone yourself. Your flower show is awesome.

Unknown said...

Kylee, your bloomers are so beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person... I'm itching to see the whole garden! :)

Unknown said...

Oooh! Ooooh! I love them all...what a great show of photos, Kylie. What are you using for a camera and lens? i may have asked this before but my brain is soggy with deadlines. Lovely closeups, I can smell the flowers!

How do you find the Centaurea 'Gold bullion' for hardiness? i've been looking for this plant, though haven't found it yet--but I did score the 'Amethyst in snow' centaurea recently, which I really like.

things are popping like crazy here, too, but I'm so busy with deadlines I haven't had time to take photos since coming home from Yarmouth--and I haven't gotten those up either. but gotta do the work to earn the pay to get more plants, right?

Gardenmomma Chris said...

Hi Kylee,
I thought I wrote a comment on your blog but I didn't see it. This is the most amazing photos of wonderful flowers!!! What kind of camera do you use?

Kylee Baumle said...

alyssa ~ Thank you! You're right, the sweet william doesn't require much water either. In fact, in the past, I've found if they get too much, they tend to rot at the crown.

kelly ~ I know what you mean about the cracks! We've got them here, too, and I think I could run the sprinkler all day and those cracks would never fill up. :-(

seedling ~ The oxalis are bulbs, so you should be able to save those over the winter and plant them next spring. That's what I did with my Iron Cross oxalis and I'll do the same with the purple ones this fall. :-)

jean ~ Thank you. I'm amazed that we have this much going on in the garden, since we've had such hot dry weather for so long.

yolanda elizabet ~ So YOU are hoarding all the rain! Yes! Please send some, and hurry!

naturegirl ~ I really love taking photos of my flowers. (Like you couldn't tell...LOL)

carolyn gail ~ *blush*

blackswamp_girl ~ And I can't wait to meet you and give you the tour! :-)

jodi ~ I have a Canon A710 IS. I love Canon cameras and have had the best results with them.
I don't know how hardy the Centaurea will be, since I just bought it this spring. We'll see!
Yes, absolutely the best reason to work - to buy more things for our gardens!

gardenmomma (chris) ~ See above. LOL. Thank you for the kind words!

Thanks everyone, for visiting my blog and all the nice comments!

Connie said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. Your flowers are beautiful, great photos! Can I persuade you to save me a seed head from your 'Flamenco' poppy? :-)

Mark said...

Thats a bloomin nice selection of your flowers.

Cheers Mark

Ki said...

Pretty impressive group of flowers especially for this time of the year. The Nemesia looks like a very interesting flower.

Anonymous said...

The photography is stunning. What a joy it must be to wander about your little acre marvelling at the splendour and vibrant colours of the nature around you.
Thanks for sharing.
Sara from farmingfriends

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THE PRAIRIE SUNDROPS PIC THAT CONFIRMED I HAVE A 6 FT TALL ONE GROWING IN MY FRONT BED. THE BLOSSOMS "WINK ON AND OFF" FAST THOUGH-MAYBE DUE TO THE FEAST-FAMINE RAIN CYCLES WE ARE EXPERIENCING HERE IN NE ILLINOIS.

blogger templates | Make Money Online