Monday, June 18, 2007

Red Sky at Night is NOT a Delight


"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight
Red sky in morning, sailor take warning"

Sunset - Monday, June 18, 2007

I can remember years ago there were times when the topic of conversation was how we needed rain and they wished it would rain and it had better rain soon and I would think to myself, "I don't care if it rains, but it had better not do it this weekend. I have plans." Now it's years later and these days all people talk about is how we need rain and they wish it would rain and it had better rain soon and I think to myself, "Do tell!!"


It's all a matter of perspective. I grow things now, and our gardens are in desperate need of rain. And while we do eat some of what grows there, our garden doesn't really put food on the table. We live in farming country and lack of rain will affect the income of those who really do put food on the global table. Even if I didn't have the gardens I do now, I know that a serious lack of rain should concern all of us. It's the trickle-down effect and besides meaning less income for the growers, it could mean higher prices for us on many of the things we eat and use every day.

We have washed windows, washed cars, planned outdoor events, and numerous other things that normally would bring on the rain, all to no avail. We've been given a forecast of a 100% chance of rain for tonight and tomorrow, but we've been told this before, so it didn't stop me from watering anyway. The way I figure it, if we don't get rain I'll have given the plants their daily drink and if we do get it, the ground will be better able to absorb it and so will the plants.

We need rain and I wish it would rain and it had better rain soon...


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about quarter till six in the morning and the Eastern sky is red, red, red here...and I'm still praying for an all day soaker. The forecast is intermittent showers. But the earth is cracking open around here, like the desert or the bottom of a dry lake.

blogger templates | Make Money Online