Sunday, June 3, 2007

Green Frog Sunday



American Bullfrog
Rana catesbeiana

I nearly stepped on this big guy last night while walking in the yard. (He was about 10-12 inches long if you stretched his legs out.) I see toads all the time - two of them live in the gardens - but this is only the second time in my life I've seen a frog. Romie says it's a bullfrog, and we've been hearing one every night for quite awhile now. Our neighbors have a pond, so it's a familiar summer sound and I love hearing it.

The way to tell a bullfrog from a green frog is that the green frog has ridges that go all the way down its back from its eyes. The bullfrog doesn't have these. And you can tell male from female by looking at their eardrums. The female's eardrums are the size of its eyes. The male's are smaller. Since our bullfrog's eardrums are even bigger than its eyes, I think it must be a female.

The American Bullfrog is the largest frog in North America. It's a nocturnal amphibian that comes out of hibernation in April and stays active until October. The average lifepan of a bullfrog is seven to nine years.


Join Green Thumb Sunday


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have cane toads here, which get about the size of a dinner plate. The first time I saw one it was sitting very still and I thought it was a garden ornament, lol! I dont' see them in my garden; maybe it's too dry on this side of the island? Lucky you to have them around and hear their songs!

Anonymous said...

EEEeeek, he'd scare me to death if I found him in my garden!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous closeup shop of the froggy fella. I just think the nature in our garden's is wonderful to watch. Thanks for sharing.
Sara from farmingfriends

Christa said...

How nice to have a resident bullfrog. I didn't know one could tell a male from female by the size of the eardrums. I also didn't know they live seven to nine years. That's longer than I would have thought.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

So that is a bullfrog? I always wondered what they looked like as we don't have them over here. Do they really make a lot of noise? The Dutch frogs are less noisy.

BTW you've been posting away for queen and country again, haven't you? Oh wait, you haven't got a queen. Never mind you can borrow mine. ;-)

Anonymous said...

O.K. this big girl is about ten times the size of the measly little frogs we have in California. She's way bigger that our toads.
She almost bigger than our dogs.
Are you sure she didn't spend her childhood in or around 3 Mile Island?

blogger templates | Make Money Online