Sunday, September 2, 2007

Monarch Chrysalis Sighting


Mom called me yesterday to tell me she'd seen a Monarch chrysalis in the Children's Garden while she was out there weeding and watering. It was hanging from the kale and was quite hidden, so she was fortunate to notice it. I wanted to run right down there and see it immediately, but knew we were going there today, so I exercised my patience.

< Black Swallowtail in the Children's Garden

Kara and Adam came down today and we all went together to Van Wert to eat lunch at Sonic. It's one of my favorite fast food places, not only because they have great burgers, but they have those Cream Slushes that are The Greatest Drinks EVER. I always get strawberry.



After stopping at Mom and Dad's we all headed out the Children's Garden. It was Adam's first visit and Mom gave him the tour, telling him of all that was there and what was yet to come. She showed us the chrysalis and it was just beautiful.

After we got home, we worked on getting things moved back into the basement after the flood mess. It feels like this won't ever be done, but I have to keep remembering, "Inch by inch, it's a cinch..."

I wonder if the Monarchs feel like that when they are making their trip to Mexico.

3 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hi Kylee I'm back!

It seems like you had a lovely day yesterday. Great pic of the crysalis!

Flood mess? Yikes, I have some catching up to do I see. I hope it isn't too much of a mess!

Unknown said...

Yay! Glad to see you have a chrysalis--and I'm sure it's one of many, believe me! I think you're probably right about how the monarchs feel when they're travelling to their winter abodes. I'm glad it's getting under control for you, though (your basement) That's just not fun at all.

Ki said...

Your photo rekindled a wonderful memory. When I was little, I remember taking home Monarch caterpillars and feeding them milkweed to watch them metamorphosize into a chrysalis and butterfly. The chrysalis was so jewel-like and beautiful we couldn't believe how the worm could produce such a thing. The gold beads around the upper third of the chrysalis was very metallic and beautiful. It was a wondrous thing to behold especially for little kids.

blogger templates | Make Money Online