Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meeting Meems of Hoe & Shovel


I was up bright and early to get ready for a short trip to a friend's house. A friend I'd not yet met. And isn't that what some people say strangers are - friends we've not yet met? But this friend was no stranger.

I felt as if I already knew much about Meems from reading her blog, Hoe and Shovel, for a year or more and after an hour-long phone conversation yesterday. We managed to cover a mutitude of subjects in a very short time, and realized we both loved to talk. As we said goodbye on the phone, we joked that maybe we wouldn't have anything left to talk about when we actually met. Not a chance!

My uncle Bob was my "driver" and we arrived at Meems' house around 10:00 a.m. It was readily apparent as we pulled up to her house that a gardener lived there. Beautiful and inviting landscaping had me wanting to see what other treasures lay beyond the front yard.


She invited us into her lovely home, where we hugged and introductions were made. The talk was non-stop, even as we enjoyed her homemade banana bread and fresh blueberries and strawberries.

Eventually, we began the grand tour of her gardens, and while Meems was just a bit apologetic about the destruction by the freezes they'd experienced recently, I still recognized the lovely gardens she pictures on her blog. It was fun for me to see them in the context of her home and the surrounding area. While we both would have liked to see things in their usual gorgeous prime condition, nature happens and we as gardeners know all about that and learn to take it in stride.

Despite the frost, I was taken by the beautiful layout of her gardens, with such careful attention to what grows best where. It's apparent that she knows her gardens intimately and tends to each plant and shrub and flower as her children.

Before we left, she used her Shovel to share some amaryllis bulbs from her own garden with me. She knows how much I love them and these will be special treasures from a friend, growing in my own garden this summer. The frost damaged their foliage before they were due to bloom, so perhaps they'll do it later, in my Ohio garden.

We spent 2½ hours there before we had to leave since my aunt and Jenna had not accompanied us and we had left them without transportation. Meems and I could have spent the entire day talking about so many things. We had that instant connection that you make with some people when you share a common interest. Even outside gardening though, I know that Meems and I could be the kind of friends who spend time together, if we just lived closer to each other.

Thank you, Meems, for opening your home and gardens to me. You are just as charming and warm as you appear on your blog and I am so glad we got the chance to spend some time together. Now, you need to visit Our Little Acre. My door is always open for you, my friend.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, you look kinda like sisters with your short, layered haircuts and stylish glasses.

The visit sounds like a meeting of kindred spirits, as you knew it would be. How fun! And thanks for showing a picture of Meems. I don't think I'd ever seen her on her blog before.

Meems said...

Hey Kylee,
Meeting you was like meeting a long lost friend. Like you, I felt I knew so many things about you from reading your blog but seeing you face to face and actually conversing about so many things we both love was a real treat! I am honored you took time out of your vacation to come for a visit to Hoe & Shovel. If only we had an entire day! Next time for sure... we will plan it that way.

Enjoy the beaches and the sunshine as much as you can ... we are having a beautiful Florida week.
*hugs, my friend*
Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

Kerri said...

What could be more fun than a meeting of like minds? I'm sure you'll remember this visit as one of the highlights of your vacation, Kylee.
It's so good to see that lovely photo of the two of you with such bright, happy smiles :)
And lucky you to see Meem's gorgeous garden!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Pam said the very thing I was thinking as I saw that picture of you two. You look like sisters. You are sisters of the dirt. And I mean that in a most respectful way.

I love seeing Meems's garden through your eyes Kylee. It looks so lush and beautiful. It could not be a disappointment for any reason.

Unknown said...

Yes, you do look like sisters across the miles. I'm so glad you got to see each other and have some fun together. Meems, your garden looked great--it might not have been up to your standards but think about what it's like in Nova Scotia! :-)

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

What a nice post!

I bet it was a real there's 'never enough' time moment.

Rob

Kylee Baumle said...

Pam ~ I think Meems has a small photo on her profile, but it doesn't do her justice! We had so much fun!

Meems ~ I feel the same. The time just went way too fast. We had so much more to talk about! Hey, I know! Come up for Spring Fling, and you can spend some time at my house before or after! :-) *hugs back to you*

Kerri ~ It was wonderful and certainly one of the highlights of this trip. I do indeed feel very lucky!

Lisa ~ Ah, sisters of the dirt! I like that! I absolutely wasn't disappointed in the least. Her gardens are beautiful no matter what!

jodi ~ And just like in Ohio, where everything is pretty darn brown and dead at the moment! So much green here!

Rob ~ You got it! That's exactly what it was.

MyMaracas said...

What a fun post! You do look like sisters, and you seem like kindred spirits as well. The garden looks like Eden from up here in Indiana, where the world is still brown and cold and soggy.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

It's cool that you and Meems got to meet. It was fun seeing pics of her plants from your camera. Someone took a great pic of the two of you, too!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Before I saw any of the comments, I was thinking that you two could pass for sisters.

How fun for both of you!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I had the same experience last year when I met up with fellow garden blogger Shirl from shirl's garden watch.

Meems got a lovely garden with lots of beautiful contrasting foliage.

Love the pic of you both!

Diana said...

Kylee - I just read Meems' post about your fun visit and know you had a wonderful time. I loved seeing your photos of her garden - I alwasy find it interesting to see more than one perspective of a garden. Now you truly are friends for life. We all felt similar emotions at last year's Spring Fling.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like meeting an old friend. I'm so glad you had fun. Her gardens look lovely in spite of the frost.~~Dee

Anonymous said...

Yup, sisters! What fun to meet a fellow garden lover. Hope you are having a great time in FL!

blogger templates | Make Money Online