Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Creepy Crawlers and Fancy Flyers


When I started gardening, I also began to notice things besides plant life in the garden. With flowers come bees and butterflies, sure, but wait! There's more! Moths and spiders and insects of all kinds lurk about. I had to get over any phobias I may have had (*cough* spiders *cough*) or I was not going to enjoy my time in the garden.

As time went on, I not only noticed more, I purposely looked for bugs and when I'd find one, I'd do research to learn more about it. Today, I can say that the "critters" enhance my gardening experience. Okay, maybe the iris borers not so much.

This summer was no different than those in the past. I discovered new bugs and learned fascinating facts about them. And I found out new things about bugs I'd already met. I like to take photos whenever possible, so that when I go inside and try to ID the bug, I can compare my photo to those online to make a positive match.

Here are some that I've seen this summer:

Question Mark Butterfly
Polygonia interrogationis



Not sure which kind of moth this is - maybe one of the Ermine moths?
It's very tiny. Shown here on Asclepias tuberosa 'Hello Yellow'.



Gold Bug
Charidotella sexpunctata bicolor



Silver-Spotted Skipper
Epargyreus clarus



Ebony Jewel Wing Damselfly
Calopteryx maculata



Ermine Moth
Atteva punctella



Snowberry Clearwing Moth
Hemaris diffinis



Great Golden Digger Wasp
Sphex ichneumoneus



Polyphemus Moth caterpillar
Antheraea polyphemus



Orange-Collared Scape Moth
Cisseps fulvicollis



Red-Spotted Purple
Limenitis arthemis



Viceroy
Limenitis archippus



Orange Sulfur
Colias eurytheme



Red Admiral
Vanessa atalanta



Pearl Crescent
Phyciodes tharos



Eastern Comma
Polygonia comma



Cabbage White
Pieris rapae



Painted Lady
Vanessa cardui



Monarch
Danaus plexippus



White-Marked Tussock Moth caterpillar
Orgyia leucostigma



Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Papilio glaucus

___________________

Big-butt spider in the first photo is Spined Micrathena (Micrathena gracilis) and they're all over the place right now!



10 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

Lots of great bugs in your garden, Kylee. You've created a happy habitat.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What great photos of your garden critters Kylee. I haven't had the Polyphemus caterpillar in our garden. What a brute. We have had the moth though. I think everything else has graced our garden.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

What fantastic photos of these guys!! Your photos of the butterflies are especially great as those beauties flutter and flap all over the place. I will be bookmarking this post to use as a reference.

Dave said...

I've got to say this post really "bugs" me! ;) Great photos! The more you know about the insects in the garden the more you know about your garden.

Bren Haas said...

YOU GET ALL THE COOL BUGS!!!!
That camera is working fabulous for you dear Kylee.

Happy Harvesting going on over at the BGgarden.

Lona said...

Kylee, what wonderful pictures! That is one fierce or prehistoric looking spider. Do not think I have seen the Digger wasp.

Debbie Hadley said...

Hi Kylee-

Fantastic photos! You've got a real diversity of insects in your garden, which means you've got a nice diversity of plants, too.

I think we chatted about the black and white moth on the milkweed before. Looking at it again, I don't think that is an ermine moth. Ermines tend to roll their wings up at rest, so they are cylindrical. I'm still looking around for a better match.

The Friend said...

What lovely photos! They make me want to rush right out into my own garden to look for my "creepy crawly" neighbors. By the way, I'm pretty certain that unidentified moth of yours is a Hebrew Moth (polygrammate hebraicum).

Unknown said...

Wow, that's quite the list! Glad to see the polyphemus made it into the list... Steve will be happy to see it. Only, I think we should have put a hand in the photo so people could have a reference for just how BIG that guy was! :)

Kerri said...

It's an interesting and amazing 'tiny' world out there, isn't it? You've captured some great shots here, Kylee.
I've never noticed a Red Spotted Purple here. I wonder if they're in our area.

blogger templates | Make Money Online