Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - September 2009



Just when I was ready to chop everything down due to the dry weather we've had all summer, we got a few days of rain. It's amazing what life-giving stuff that is! The garden responded quickly and fabulously and we're enjoying the blooms that are still going strong in our September garden.

Other than one mum that's been blooming for a couple of weeks, we don't have any of those blooming just yet, although it's clear that they will be starting in a few days. But the asters are in full color, as I highlighted
a few days ago.

Some of the other bloomers we've got now are:

Toad Lily
Tricyrtis 'Tojen'
This is one of four toad lilies I have, and it is always the first to bloom. The other three are forming flower buds now, but it will be a week or so until they bloom. 'Tojen' differs from most toad lilies in that it doesn't have the usual freckling on its petals.


Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Kordes Perfecta'
There are several roses putting out amazing blooms right now. I love 'Kordes Perfecta' because of the color changes it goes through before it's spent. It starts out solid cherry red in color, with increasing white until finally there's only color at the very edges. It was hybridized by the famous Wilhelm Kordes, as were 'Dortmund' and 'Iceberg.' 'Kordes Perfecta' was created in 1957, just like I was!


Sunflower
Helianthus annuus 'Strawberry Blonde'
The sunflowers are waning, and the birds have pretty much cleaned out the seed heads, but there are still some straggler blooms that appear on occasion. I always try to grow the branching type sunflowers (I look for 'branching' on the seed packet) because the foliage tends to stay nicer on them for a longer period of time and of course, you get multiple blooms.


Larkspur
Consolida regalis
Mom gave me this seed last year and it had been collected a few years before that so I wasn't sure how well it would do. No problem! Some are single, some are double, and one looked like it was tie-dyed. I've been collecting fresh seed from these and will plant them again next year.


Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus syriacus 'Aphrodite'
My 'Aphrodite' is grown as a standard. I've also got 'White Chiffon' and 'Blue Satin' growing in the regular shrub form.


Showy Stonecrop
Hylotelephium 'Autumn Fire' and 'Purple Emperor'
I love this combination.


Hardy Gladiolus
Gladiolus communis subsp. byzantinus
I've got these, some yellow and pink ones, and 'Atom' (my favorite). Though they are supposed to be hardy here, I dig them in the fall and replant in the spring. I left them in the ground one winter and only half of them made it through.


Bronze Fennel
Foeniculum vulgare 'Rubrum'
Though the flower heads are yellow, the foliage is green towards the bottom and burgundy towards the top.


Zinnia
Zinnia angustifoliaBoldI love the glaucous foliage on this zinnia. Like all my other annuals, this summer was not optimum for growing annuals, due to lack of rain and hot temperatures. So these were later to bloom than usual.


Zinnia
Zinnia 'Profusion Fire' and 'Profusion Apricot'
I saved seed from these last year and although hybrids aren't guaranteed to come true from seed, these did.


Texas Sage
Salvia coccinea 'Sallynia Salmon'
The hummingbirds and bees LOVE this salvia and so do I! It's a blooming machine and I love the color. This is one plant and I've not been faithful about deadheading it. Wonderful plant for a hot, dry spot. To see a photo I took of its bloom up close, click here.


Knautia
Knautia macedonica 'Mars Midget'
This reminds me of mini scabiosas.


Ivy Geranium
Pelargonium x peltatum 'Global Red' and 'Global Stars and Stripes'
I've tried other plants in these wall baskets, but the ivy geraniums seem to do the best.


Hydrangea
Hydrangea paniculata 'Pinky Winky'
I've got a white paniculata blooming right now too (unknown cultivar). And of course, the Endless Summers® ('Bailmer' and 'Blushing Bride') just keep pumping out the blooms. They're by far my best bloomers.


Hardy Geranium
Geranium 'Rozanne'


Cosmos
Cosmos 'Picotee'


Tickseed
Coreopsis 'Limerock Dream'
I LOVE this plant! I just wish it was hardy here. It has bloomed profusely all summer into fall. I've deadheaded it a couple of times, but found that it really isn't necessary. It has gone through color changes with the weather. Cooler temperatures bring deeper color. I may try cutting it back and trying to overwinter it in the basement or the garage.


Fumitory (I'd not heard this common name before!)
Corydalis 'Blackberry Wine'
This has been a strong grower ever since I planted it earlier this spring. It's bloomed all summer as well. I love the color and the little spurred blooms.


Japanese Anemone
Anemone 'Whirlwind'
I love the fall anemones and this one in particular. Want more!


Japanese Anemone
Anemone 'Party Dress'
This was new here last year and it came back strong and is loaded with buds and blooms.


Marguerite Daisy
Argyranthemum frutescens 'Madeira Series'
This is another annual that I'll seek out for planting next year. It just blooms and blooms and blooms. I did learn though, that it isn't really beneficial to use a general plant fertilizer on this one. Like Cosmos, if the soil is too rich, you get fabulously lush foliage but no blooms. Once the fertilizer had worked its way out of the soil, we got lots of blooms again. It's just gorgeous right now.


Begonia
Begonia 'Dragon Wing Red'
I got this for $12.50 about six weeks ago and it's looked just like this every day since. I hope to be able to overwinter it.


Bougainvillea
Bougainvillea 'Imperial Garden'
This is such an unpredictable bloomer for me that I don't pay much attention to it. It didn't bloom at all last summer, but I noticed some blooms a couple of weeks ago. It's my favorite of any bougainvillea I've ever met. I love the white/pink shaded bracts. It's persnicketiness is worth putting up with for the times when it does decide to bloom.


Hummingbird Mint
Agastache
I lost the tag for this, but I purchased it at a nursery in Chicago that only sells perennials that are hardy to their zone. The tag confirmed it and I wish I could find it because Kim asked me what it was when she visited a week ago. I hope it winters over because I love the color of this one. Also new this year is Agastache repestris 'Sunset Hyssop.'

UPDATE: I e-mailed the nursery (Planter's Palette) and they had a record of my purchase. This Agastache is 'Desert Sunrise.' A detailed description from High Country Gardens states:

Description:

40-48” x 24” wide, (cutting propagated). Imagine a clear sky with a line of low clouds on the horizon, tinted shades of orange, pink and lavender by the rising sun and you have the color of ‘Desert Sunrise’® flowers. A hybrid I discovered in my garden a few years back, ‘Desert Sunrise’® is a cross between the two best southwestern species of the genus: Agastache rupestris and Agastache cana. This new perennial introduction is a sturdy, vigorous grower that blooms non-stop from midsummer through fall. The flower spikes are quite large and both the foliage and flowers are delightfully fragrant. Agastache ‘Desert Sunrise’® is xeric like Agastache rupestris, but like Agastache cana adapts well to regular garden conditions with better soils and more plentiful water. Best of all, ‘Desert Sunrise’® is a rich nectar source that is very popular with hummingbirds!

Zones 5-10.



Asiatic Primrose
Primula capitata 'Salvana'
This has thrown up its drumstick blooms all summer, one at a time, sometimes two. Its leaves have a whitish coating (called farina) that washes off when you water the plant, but it returns. No, not powdery mildew. It's just a characteristic of its foliage.


Oriental Lily
Lilium 'Sumatra'
Yep, it's a late bloomer. Not the cultivar, just this particular plant in my garden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is hosted by Carol of May Dreams Garden. Please visit her site to see other participating garden bloggers from around the worldgar.


25 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh... 'Sumatra' is gorgeous, as are Kordes Perfecta (sorry I missed that bloom in person!) and the gorgeous begonia. :)

I admit I'm still doubtful about the agastache since I know it's touchy around here... but I really hope you prove me wrong. And then that you find the tag so I know what to buy, because I WANT ONE! lol.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

You have so many beautiful things in bloom, I especially like the 'Strawberry Blonde' Sunflower. Your 'Party Dress' Anemone is much darker than mine. I wonder if soil or light conditions make a difference.

Cathy S. said...

Wow Kylee such beautiful September blooms I love the Japanese Anemones.

Happy GBBD!

-Cathy

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

The Hummingbird Mint looks so beautiful. I like your close-up of Geranium 'Rozanne.'

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful, Kylee! I love that tickseed, too! I'm glad you got some rain -- so did we, but sun on the way. :)

Unknown said...

So pretty Kylee....I love the Marguerite Daisy in mass like that.

Anonymous said...

Kylee, so many delightful blooms to look at! I sure enjoyed your tea rose! What a beautiful "flavor" of bloom. Today I posted about tickseed today. They are such fun blooms. I enjoyed your picture of your cosmos, too!

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, You are enjoying so many beautiful flowers! You've reminded me to move 'Rozanne' to the top of my Wish List this Winter! ;-)

Diana said...

Kylee - glad you got rain, too. I'd never know you were suffering from your beautiful GBBD post. Love that Toad Lily and the photo of the been in the Cosmos bloom. The picture is so good, I feel like I could reach out and touch him! Happy GBBD.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

wow Kylee, I lost track of all the neat blooms you have that I wanted to mention! The hot pink of the tickseed and the hyssop are just great! What a full assortment of color for the late summer/fall.

Kylee Baumle said...

Kim ~ I thought of you when I took the photo of 'Kordes Perfecta' and wished you could have seen it in person when you were here. It just wasn't ready for its close-up then! LOL!
I hope the agastache makes it, too, of course. I'm going to mulch the heck out of both of them and keep my fingers crossed!

MMD ~ I got my 'Party Dress' from a pretty reliable nursery (Petitti's in Cleveland), but that doesn't mean mistakes can't be made. However, you could be right about soil and light, too. And moisture...I've had to water like crazy all summer so it's probably been drier than yours most of the time. That could make a difference, too.

Cathy ~ I love love love the anemones as well. Looking at Bluestone and thinking I might get more 'Whirlwind' since I only have the one plant.

Mary Delle ~ You know the cool thing about 'Rozanne'? The curly parts in that photo mimic what the eventual seed heads would look like if I let them go to seed. I usually deadhead, but occasionally some will be missed and the seedheads are gorgeous. They look like a work of quilling art.

Nancy ~ We got some rain for a few days a couple of weeks ago, but have had none since, and we were so dry before, we needed a lot more than we got to really catch us up. So we're back to being dry, dry, dry and the grass has gone dormant again. :-(

Brooke ~ That Marguerite Daisy has been incredible pretty much every since I planted it this spring!

Miss Daisy ~ That rose is outstanding and I only paid something like $3 for it a few years ago at Walmart! I read your post on Coreopsis. I did one not too long ago about the varieties we have in our garden here. I love that it comes in so many different shades of color! I enjoy plant profiles, so I liked your post.

Shady Gardener ~ You need it! It's a great plant!

Diana ~ We got a few days of rain a couple of weeks ago, but none since, so we're dry again. Glad you liked the Cosmos photo so much. Funny thing about that photo - I was focused on the flower, ready to trip the shutter and that bumblebee flew right into the flower at the last second! :-)

Janet ~ The tickseed is actually more of a deep red than pink, but the hyssop is a raspberry pink. Both are incredible colors that I love seeing, especially now.

EVERYONE ~ I hope to get around to see each of your blooms in the next couple of days. I've got to work the rest of the week, so it might take me awhile, but I'll get there! Thanks for visiting Our Little Acre and taking the time to comment! :-)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You have tons blooming! I've seen 'Party Dress' now three times tonight, it must be a sign that I need to buy one :)
Your rose almost looks like a peony bloom, it's so pretty.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a bountiful bouquet of blooms you have Kylee. I didn't know there was a hardy gladioli. The one you pictured is gorgeous. I also fell in love with the bee on the cosmos. I hope you don't mind if I paint it. It is hard to resist.

Nutty Gnome said...

Wow Kylee, you've got some great bloomers at the moment! I love that hummingbird mint - I've not come across it before and it is gorgeous!
I got some Corydalis seeds from Rob (our French Garden) when I went to visit him in summer, but I don't think they are 'Blackberry Wine' - still I'm sure they'll be great.
The colour of the Coreopsis is fantastic ......must get round to planting some for next year :)

garden girl said...

So many gorgeous things you have blooming Kylee! The toad lily is really pretty, and that larkspur is gorgeous! I love the two sedums together too. I might have to try Purple Emperor. I have (had) Black Jack, but in no time it reverted to Matrona. I like Matrona alot, but I really did want the dark foliage.

Kara said...

I have the single pink Japanese anemone, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your white one.

And that Limerock Dream is totally dreamy.

shirley bovshow "EdenMaker" said...

What a garden you have there! Such a variety. I'm persuaded to participate in this Garden Bloggers Bloom Day- thanks for sharing.
Shirley Bovshow

Patsy Bell said...

I can never have too many sunflowers. I've never seen Strawberry Blond, but I will look for it next spring.Your Ivy Geranium looks so great against the brick. It's nice to see all these bright colors this late in the season.

gardennana said...

I really like your blog, I just found it this evening, I have been reading just about everything that you have. And your pictures are beautiful. The fog that you had reminded me of a time we went to Oregon and their were so many days, with heavy low lying fog almost each fall and winter days. To comment to Patsy, you can get the Strawberry Blond Sunflower at www.2bseeds.com. They have many sunflowers seeds. Again I really like your site.

Lona said...

Wow Kylee, you have still so much blooming. I wish we would have gotten the rain you did. It all missed us.
Your anemones are so pretty. I cannot wait now for my 'Party Dress' to bloom after seeing yours. I love the cosmos and just cannot get them to grow. What a gorgeous Gladiola. Glads have come a long way since I tried growing them.
Are you going to the Backwoods Festival this week?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you finally got some rain, but we are still waiting down here in SE Columbus area. I water all summer with a hose, but real rain seems to have a magical quality. I keep seeing Knautia, and love that deep magenta color. Isn't it just a type of scabiosa? It sure looks like it. I didn't know that Larkspur came in pink, as I've never grown it before. Next I'll be trying the blue.

Kerri said...

Kylee, I'm glad you got some welcome rain that made your garden spring to life again. You have some wonderful September blooms!
I must get some toad lilies.
I love this late flush of rose blooms. It's like an end of summer gift. Your Perfecta is gorgeous!
'Strawberry Blonde' is blooming in my garden too :)
Oh that pink Larkspur is beautiful! I've never grown the pink. The seed I collected last year, from the blue I had, didn't come at first sowing, but the second time they did germinate. I may get a few blooms before frost, if I'm lucky.
Our hardy glads didn't come well..only a few showed up, and no blooms on those. Too wet in the veggie garden where they're planted.
We had too wet and cool while you had too hot and dry. Go figure!
Love that stonecrop combo. Wow!
Aren't the anemones wonderful? Your 2 are so pretty. I love the deeper pink of 'Party Dress'.
I hope you do find the tag of that Agastache. I'd love to try that one.
How lucky to have a late blooming lily!
Wishing you happy fall gardening days! :)

Unknown said...

Kylee, just gorgeous as always. Much happier looking than our garden. I wonder if your Agastache is one of the Acapulco series? I have them every year and this year I'm going to overwinter one outdoors. Or so I tell myself. LOL!

Sylvana said...

Your Picotee are far prettier than the ones that bloomed for me! And your picture of it is perfect! And the anemone are wonderful. I must try these again.

Kylee Baumle said...

Catherine ~ 'Party Dress' is a mass of blooms right now. I know some gardeners don't like theirs, but mine is fabulous and I love it!

Lisa ~ Oh goodness, it would be great if you painted that cosmos with the bee! Of course I don't mind! Be sure to take a photo of it when you've finished it so I can see it! :-)

Nutty Gnome ~ Check it out - there's an update in the post about the Agastache. ;-)

garden girl ~ There are several darker foliaged sedums. As of yet, mine haven't reverted and I hope they don't. It's irritating when a plant does that, isn't it?

Kara ~ It's taken me several tries, but finally I have some Japanese anemones that lived to bloom stage! And lived through a winter! Yay, me!

Shirley ~ Thank you, Shirley. Yes, GBBD has been fun. I've been introduced to many new (to me) plants this way.

Patsy ~ Still lots of color here, for sure! 'Strawberry Blonde' is one of my favorites!

gardennana ~ Welcome to Our Little Acre! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my blog and I hope you'll come back again!

Lona ~ I'm not familiar with Backwoods Festival. Enlighten me, please!

Robin ~ Rain has been a very precious commodity this summer, as it was in '07 and '08. I'll bet I could count on one hand the number of days I didn't have to use the hose to water something.
Knautia is in the same family as Scabiosa, so that explains the similarity in appearance.

Kerri ~ Yes, you need some toad lilies! They're such interesting plants and bloom at a time when there isn't a whole lot of anything else perennial blooming besides mums and asters.
Be sure to check my update on the Agastache up there in the post. ;-)

jodi ~ As I've told the others, check the update in the blog post for the ID of the Agastache! :-)

Sylvana ~ I had trouble growing the anemones until last year. FINALLY, I got some to live and even overwinter! Don't give up!

blogger templates | Make Money Online