Friday, October 9, 2009

The Rainy Day


Acer palmatum 'Emperor I'



The Rainy Day

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the moldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


5 comments:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

What a heavenly photograph, Kylee! Gorgeous!!!!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Your pictures is beautiful and I enjoyed the poem. I've only heard a couple of lines from it before.

Kylee Baumle said...

Cindy ~ Thanks, Cindy! Well, you KNOW how I love raindrops, especially hanging from Japanese Maples! Wonder where I got my inspiration for this one? ;-)

Catherine ~ Thank you. We enjoyed gentle rain all day here and I only stuck my head out long enough to snap this photo of the largest of our Japanese Maples. This one is just outside the back door.
I'd only heard a couple lines from this poem before, too. There is another verse that goes in the middle between these two, but it wasn't apropos, so I left that one out.

Gail said...

HWL has described today poetically! The Japanese Maple is stunning. gail

Catherine said...

Lovely photo and post- my late father loved this poem, and so I had a happy remembrance of him when i read your blog. Thanks from way out here in California.

blogger templates | Make Money Online