Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Tale of Two Kittens


Many of you will remember the two kittens that fate put in our path last month. So very young, and all on their own in a world where owls eat them as a snack and they don't know where their next meal will come from. Of course, we couldn't allow that to go on and the two little furballs came to stay at Our Little Acre.

This meant the cat count had reached an all-time high of 11 and if my reputation as the Crazy Cat Lady wasn't solidified around Cat Number Seven, it surely would be now. Like I care.

We have no grandchildren, but we do know those who do, and we have looked at our share of photos of cute kids and listened to stories of the adorable and genius things those kids do. Having cats - so many of them - can be much like having grandchildren.
"You should have seen them last night! They were sooooo cute! They looked just like little angels, all curled up, sleeping together."

But still, eleven cats is more than enough and we are not a rescue shelter, in spite of how it might appear. So we have tried to find homes for some of them. It was decided (by me) that no amount of begging by anyone would get me to let go of Lily though. She won me over from the first time she rubbed her face on my chin that very first night we found her.

Nearly as endearing was her sister, Cocoa, whom we found the day after Lily came bounding across the field, away from the Great Horned Owl that was eyeing her for dinner. Cocoa was more docile than Lily, and we knew she would make a wonderful house cat for someone.

That someone came in the form of a co-worker whose son wanted a kitten.


Cocoa now lives as a pampered house cat in Northeast Indiana, having adopted Jonathan as her human. We couldn't be happier for her, as we could tell right from the moment Jonathan and his mom and brother arrived to pick her up a couple of weeks ago, that it was love at first sight for both of them.


I love happy endings!

Photo by Ellen Slattery

21 comments:

Carol Michel said...

How sweet. My sister is a crazy cat lady, in fact her whole family is, and they are always trying to get me to take one of the cats.

Wasco said...

But you still have ten cats now instead of nine. Plus the two I'm going to send you.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Sweet little Cocoa is going to have a wonderful life with her family... I can tell! And you'll have to keep us all updated on Lily too.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

So glad for the happy ending! What a sweet little face Lily has.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Hi Crazy Cat Lady, I knew I liked you for some reason. So glad you found a good home for Cocoa.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Those lucky kitties. It looks like one of them found the purrfect home. I enjoy reading about your kitties. You post about them as often as you wish. I actually could stand to read a little more about them.

Anonymous said...

How sweet! We had a foster kitty a while back and ended up finding her a home with a coworker or my mom's. SO hard to let her go, but worth it. :)

Katie said...

That's great! Love the last picture with Jonathan and Cocoa.

Debra Howard said...

You go girl. I have lots of cats too. Sometimes as many as 16 when there are kittens. I love them all and find good homes for them when I can. 7 to 10 is my ideal number though. Thankfully we have a really great program in a neighboring city where I can get them fixed for around $30. Congrats on your blotanical award too.
Debbie

Diana from Sweet Fields of Green said...

Awwwww how cute! Little baby kitties just have the most precious little faces. I don't know how you can stand to let any of them go to new homes. Would always be very happy to see more of them anytime!

Troy said...

Ok, help me out with tis. Is a Crazy Cat Lady a crazy lady who collects cats, or a lady who collects crazy cats?

Thanks for visiting my blog.

About your rosemary, it seems the two things that cause Rosemary the most trouble inside during the winter are twoo much water, and not enough sunlight. 6-8 hours of sunlight a day is not too much if you can find a windowsill that will do that. Personally I bought a $5 plant light from Home Depot, and a $5 timer from WalMart.

Make sure and let it dry completely before you water it, so you dont get root rot, and keep the air moving so it doesn't mildew.

Good luck!

PS, be warned, Cats will chew on Rosemary plants if they can reach them.

Chiot's Run said...

We also are confirmed cat people and I think the word is out. We've had a few cats come to us throughout the years. Some we have kept for our own, many we have found homes for.

If only people would learn to spay/neuter their pets we would have much fewer problems with spare pets running around. It's really very sad.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Oh, what a cute story. Love that happy photo of kitty and 'her human' resting on the couch. :)

Jane Doe said...

A happy ending with adorable photos. It's always great to hear of an animal finding a loving home. Anyone in the market for three very naughty cats? Just kidding...

Layanee said...

I am in need of a kitten or two! Maybe in the spring. You are not so crazy since you found such a great home for your kitten to adopt. They do own everything.

Gail said...

Kylee, This is a heart melting, tears to eyes and sniffling my head off happy ending! Thank you for sharing! You are a good hearted woman! gail

Unknown said...

YAY! They were such sweeties, I'm so glad that there's a happy ending here. :)

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

This cat tail sure did have a happy ending and I am very glad of it,and so I imagine are the two kittycats.

I can see why you fell for little Lily, she's totally adorable. And Kylee, 10 cats is not so bad, I have 10 too. ;-)

Chloe m said...

So sweet!

I cannot resist cats either. I just have to enjoy them from afar, since my husband is allergic.

Rosey

Anonymous said...

Ok, that was the very best feel good story. You can brag all you want on your kitties as I never tire of hearing about them. You do get that cute grin on your face every time. ;)

Kristi said...

So cute, what a great story. I'm glad you found a good home.

blogger templates | Make Money Online