Sunday, January 9, 2011

Conservatory World Tour - January 23-29, 2011


If you live in the north especially, winter can get wearisome. No matter how much you enjoy the snow and break from gardening, there are few of us that wouldn't give just about anything for a nice, warm summer day by the time January moves into February. Many northerners take trips to the south about then while the rest of us just dream of it.

The next best thing is to visit your local botanical conservatory, where the weather is always just right! The photo opportunities are plentiful and allow you to relive the experience once you've returned to the wintry world just outside the doors of the conservatory oasis.

Will you join me the week of January 23rd, and visit your local conservatory? Spend a couple of hours (or the entire afternoon), take plenty of photographs of what you saw, then share them and tell us about your day in a blog post. I'll post links to your visits in a single entry on January 30th and a map showing general locations of those participating, and we can hopefully have a virtual tour of conservatories around the world!

It doesn't have to be cold for you to visit and share your local conservatory either. Those of us that are shivering would love to see any conservatory!

Grab the badge here to display on your blog, and spread the word. I look forward to both the visit to my own local conservatory - Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory in Ft. Wayne, IN - and virtually visiting yours.

Just leave a comment here, letting me know your post is up and I'll visit your blog and add it to the list. I hope to see you showing off your local conservatory! And yes, we want to see YOU in your photos, too!


This badge measures 150p x 200p, which should fit in most blog's sidebars. Right-click and copy the image to your hard drive and insert it as a photo gadget, linking the image to this post:


Tiny URL for link to this page: http://tinyurl.com/2cjpp84

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's on my calendar! Thanks!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I will look forward to this posting. If I can find a conservatory closer than a 3hour drive I will participate. I just can't think of one closer than Indianapolis or St Louis.

Peg Wiggins said...

I will plan to a visit to:
http://www.comozooconservatory.org/
in St. Paul, Minnesota that week.
However haven't been there in years as that neighborhood has grown to be somewhat unsafe.
Day trip for certain. And taking along a companion. There's safety in numbers nowdays.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Peg Wiggins said...

Should have mentioned that the site I plan to return to is:

http://www.comozooconservatory.org/

Marjorie McNeely Conservatory in St. Paul, MN

This about 20 miles from my house. And it's somewhere that I often took my children to visit both the zoo and the conservatory. Just have some concerns as that neighborhood has changed over the years and unfortunately makes the news often now days.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Sounds like fun! Is it okay if I use my post from January 4th? We just visited our local conservatory and had so much fun. My husband and kids both commented several times since about how they enjoyed it. I'll look forward to seeing what other conservatories are like.

Kylee Baumle said...

Sure, Catherine, that would be fine. I'll copy the URL and include it! I think it will be fun to see other conservatories, too!

Diane said...

Kylee - Do you know of a compiled list of North American conservatories anywhere online? I've been looking for one and apart from a list of "notable" ones on Wikipedia, I haven't found anything. I'm tempted to put such a list together if it doesn't exist already.

Kate (daisygil_io) said...

Excellent! I actually just went to the one in New York and just posted it on my blog. Catherine (Gardener in Progress) told me about what you were doing. Such a great idea! I know I'm early, but here is my link (in case I forget to send it later!):
http://gardeningandgardens.blogspot.com/2011/01/ny-botanical-garden-part-2.html

Kylee Baumle said...

Thanks, Kate! Got it!

Diane, there's a pretty good list of botanical gardens in the US on Wikipedia, but not all botanical gardens have conservatories and it's only the US.

Kylee Baumle said...

I wasn't sure if that was the list you were referring to on Wikipedia...

Daricia said...

this is a great idea, kylee! i've added your badge to my blog (and posted about it, too!) i can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

fer said...

Thank you very much for inviting me! I will try and find some conservatory around.

Annie Haven/Authentic Haven Brand said...

Oh, how fun! Now all I have to do is find a Conservatory! LA is 80 plus miles North of me not sure how soon I'll get that way...

Christopher Tidrick said...

Hi Kylee. My post is finally done! http://fromthesoil.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-stop-on-conservatory-world-tour.html

Thanks for doing this. Great idea!

WashingtonGardener said...

Hadn't planned it - but great minds think a like :-) Did a video blog post here on the US Botanic Garden conservatory:
http://washingtongardener.blogspot.com/2011/01/video-wednesday-brief-history-of-us.html and another guest blog post here at http://www.thedcladies.com/2011/01/cure-for-winter-blahs.html on DC-area indoor "Cures for the Winter Blahs"

Laura Hayden said...

Another source for searchable lists of gardens and arboreta can be found at the American Public Gardens Association: http://www.aabga.org/gardens

Daricia said...

kylee, my post about the daniel stowe conservatory in belmont, nc, is up!

http://acharlottegarden.blogspot.com/2011/01/conservatory-at-daniel-stowe-botanical.html

Kylee Baumle said...

Thanks for that source, Laura! Making it clickable...

http://www.aabga.org/gardens

Delaware Green Acre said...

Kylee,

My blog post for Conservatory World Tour is up. Thanks so much for linking all of our blogs. I can't wait to check them out!

blogger templates | Make Money Online