Saturday, January 15, 2011

What's Blooming For January 2011 Garden Bloggers Bloom Day?


It's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day once again, and in the middle of January, outside blooms are non-existent. In some cases, I can't even find the plants because they're under a drift. I have no doubt my hellebores are putting on some flower buds, but they're one of the ones that are buried under the snow.

But inside, things are a different matter altogether. Though in past years, I've overwintered a large amount of plants in the basement and rest of the house, this year I've got a conservatory where they can continue to grow as if it were already spring out there.


Hippeastrum 'Desire'

Hippeastrum 'Bolero'

I cut the Streptocarpella 'Concord Blue' way back and it's
blooming a lot more now, out in the conservatory.

Rosmarinus officinalis 'Mrs. Howard's' is blooming up a storm,
also in the greenhouse.

Back in the house, but soon to go to the conservatory, the
poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima) is hanging on to most of its bracts,
but the lower green leaves are pretty well gone.

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' has put out a new flush of blooms
in the conservatory.

The first bloom since September, when Romie rescued this
Osteospermum
I had destined for the compost heap and planted it
in a pot. It has more buds coming on, too. We now know who
really has the green thumb in the family, don't we?

A simple white Phalaenopsis orchid has been blooming for
two months now.

The Impatiens are just as impatient for spring as I am!

These tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), from Costa Farms,
have been taking turns blooming all winter.

These geraniums (Pelargonium sp.) like it just fine in the
conservatory.
Pelargonium 'Vancouver Centennial' began blooming a week ago
and has even more blooms coming on. It's my very favorite geranium.

The Echeveria blooms last a long time.

I love the color of this Bromeliad from Costa Farms.

I bought this Bougainvillea last year at the Ft. Wayne Home and
Garden Show in February. It's beginning to show some color on its
bracts and I see buds!

This is one of the African Violets (Saintpaulia) I brought home from
the GWA annual symposium in Dallas, TX, in September.

In the house, a parlor maple standard (Abutilon) is in bloom,
which contrasts nicely with the Croton you can see in the background.




For more January blooms, visit May Dreams Gardens, where Carol hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day every month.




23 comments:

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

You have a beautiful indoor collection of flowering plants. And beautiful pics of the Amaryllis!

Darla said...

You have plenty of color inside, no need to worry about what's under the drifts outside...

Lisa Rose Starner said...

What a gorgeous display of color. Very nice for this time of year! Inspiring!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Obviously your new conservatory is working well for your plants. You have many pretty blooms. Happy GBBD.

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful selection of blooms for Bloom Day. I am not one for poinsettia, but you have a very pretty one. Funny I would say that since I decorate my Christmas trees in faux poinsettia. Well they do say Christmas loud and clear.

garden girl said...

Wow Kylee, you've got a whole lotta bloom going on! Beautiful!

RBell said...

Well, you may have snow outside, but what an incredible flower show going on inside!

serial tiller said...

You are so blessed to have a conservatory and all those blooms to cheer you in winter!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It practically looks like summer with all of those flowers. How nice to have the conservatory now and see all those flowers right now.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

You have more flowers blooming than most I've seen this month. I can't remember if you've shown any wider views of your conservatory. I'd like to see what it looks like.

Gail said...

A very nice showing for a snowbound garden! I need a space to put cuttings and plants like Mona Lavender Plectranthus~Mine was zapped by the cold. Happy Happy Bloom Day....gail

Diana said...

Kylee - Your conservatory plants are wonderful. You have many of the same plants blooming in the conservatory as I have in my greenhouse. Don't you just love it? Not to mention the restorative powers of just being inside there in the winter when it's dark and cold. Happy GBBD!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Kylee and Happy Bloom Day;
Fun to see so much bright color during the depths of winter. Your geranium is the same one I have - rescued from it's outdoor container at the end of last summer. I just love that hot pink color. She's happily blooming indoors, now.

Carolyn ♥ said...

I'm guessing that conservatory smells heavenly.

Dar said...

Your own conservatory, I am so jealous. Your plants are 'eye candy' this time of year, as the drifts are high and the snow keeps piling up here in northcentral WI. I love, Love, LOVE your passion that obviously has brought you much pleasure. I need to post some color.
BlessYourHeart

Terra said...

Hi Kylee, how cool is a conservatory? I would love to have one. Your plants are gorgeous and how fun to have tropical beauties like hibiscus blooming when there is snow outside.

sweetbay said...

You have an amazing collection of indoor flowers! All are beautiful, but I'm especially smitten with the Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' and the rich color of the Osteospermum.

FilipBlog said...

wauw, super to have so many flowers in yor garden.

Annelie said...

Wowsers!
There seems to be no lack of color in your home. So nice.

Annelie

kris at Blithewold said...

No lack of color is right! What a beautiful collection - and they all look so happy and healthy. Well done!

joey said...

All look healthy/happy in their new environment. Lovely showing, Kylee. I'm sure you are loving your conservatory!

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

Wow, you do have a lot of plants indoors! I love that 'Bolero' amaryllis. Very snazzy!

Kerri said...

Oh my, a conservatory! Lucky you!
What a beautiful collection of Blooms for January. I'm particularly taken with the pretty little cage of Impatiens, and whatever is growing with it.
But everything is gorgeous!
Mona Lavender is one I'd like to find.
Good for Romie rescuing the Osteo. It's such a pretty one and obviously appreciates his efforts :)
Stay warm, Kylee!

blogger templates | Make Money Online