Friday, September 9, 2011

Healthier Homestead Egg Wipes - A Review


It's amazing the things that come to your attention once you decide to raise chickens. I just wanted eggs, but the world of backyard chickens is a quickly-growing subculture all its own that I'm now a part of. I've met some pretty cool chicks, some with feathers and some without. One of the best conversations I had while in Seattle for the Bloggers' Fling was in the middle of Ravenna Gardens with Jessi Bloom (Garden Fowl) and Melanthia Peterman (Garden Muse), about chickens.

I was contacted recently about testing a new product used for cleaning the sometimes poopy chicken eggs. (Well hey. That's what it is.) I have no aversion to these dirty eggs; after all, they wash and so do my hands, but wouldn't it be nice if there was something available to make this task easier? There is.

Sam Jeffries, one of The Garden Guys, sent me a container of Healthier Homestead's Egg Wipes to try. Since our chickens aren't old enough to be laying eggs yet, I had to go to the neighbor's house and try them out on their eggs. They have about 50 hens (and a few roosters) and plenty of eggs for trying out the wipes.

Some of our neighbor's chickens


The best way to tell you how well these wipes work is to show you:



Egg Wipes come in a container of 25 and sell for $7.99. Each wipe cleans up to a dozen eggs, making it perfect for the average backyard chicken owner owning a dozen hens or less. When you're finished with the wipe, it can be tossed into the compost, as it's made of biodegradable materials. The cleaner's active ingredients are derived from palm, corn, and coconut oils and the product is USDA Biopreferred.

For more information about Egg Wipes, visit The Garden Guys' website at http://www.garden-guys.com/egg-wipes.html.

________________
The Egg Wipes were sent to me free of charge. I was not required to blog about this product or any other product that The Garden Guys sent to me. The opinions expressed here are my own.

9 comments:

JennyP said...

Kylee, what's the difference between Egg Wipes and standard baby wipes? Is it that they are biodegradable? If so, that's a great feature of this product!

Dani said...

Kylee - I have read recently that chicken eggs, being porous, shouldn't be cleaned, because of the danger of bacterial infection.

Personally, I have no problem with chicken eggs with poop on the surface. I just wash them immediately prior to breaking / cooking.

Dani

Kylee Baumle said...

Dani ~ I do know that eggs have a natural coating that helps preserve the freshness, so if you want them to last longer, don't wash them until you use them. It may depend on the method of washing, too. If people put their dirty eggs in a bucket of water and wash them that way, then I could see it happening.

plantingoaks said...

What's the advantage over a damp rag?

I don't object to sponsors or product recommendations in principle, but it kind of feels like you're shilling here, rather than being honest about something you like.

Bridget said...

If these wipes contain chemicals they are bad news, I certainly would'nt use them. Another unnecessary consumer product.

Kylee Baumle said...

JennyP ~ Yes, they're biodegradable.

plantingoaks ~ The advantage over using a damp rag? The same advantage to using baby wipes on a baby's dirty bottom.

No shilling at all. I was asked to try them because we have chickens. I tried them, they work well, but I didn't say I would buy them or use them. They do what they say they do. After trying them, and seeing how much they cost, I probably wouldn't buy them for the cost factor alone.

To each his own and I let my readers decide for themselves whether or not the product would be useful to them or not. Some people might like to use them, but that isn't for me to decide.

I certainly wouldn't compromise my integrity for a $7.99 container of egg wipes.

Bridget ~ Perhaps you missed it in the video and on the written review where I mentioned that the cleaner is plant-based (corn, coconut and palm oils) and is USDA Biopreferred with a link to the site telling what that means. As I said, the product does what it says it will do and I leave it up to my readers to decide if they have a need for such a product.

Julie K said...

Thanks being our guinea pig!! Your honest reviews really make a difference as to whether or not I want to spend the money on this or not.

Lisa said...

I would be worried about cross contamination, using one cloth to wipe multiple eggs.

I'm not sure I see the merit of this product. The wipes may be biodegradable but the container they come in sure isn't.

Ron said...

This may come across as "shilling" but your review was brought to my attention and after reading I posted a link to it on our site. I thought an honest, independent (outside) review was perfect for a new product with a big "IFFY" factor.

Now for the shilling part. I totally agree that it is up to each individual to decide if a product is right for them but I should like to point out that the company I work for does offer this product at a slightly lower price point ($6.49) should someone decide they would like to try it. I will post a link but I don't know if it will make it through moderation.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/product.asp?camid=LIV&pn=OSM-E1&cn=350

Thanks for sharing.

blogger templates | Make Money Online