Saturday, April 7, 2007

My Bracelet Isn't Yellow



My MFA bracelet came yesterday. It's a bracelet made for the
Meningitis Foundation of America and a small portion ($5) of the sales of these bracelets goes towards the foundation.


They aren't the typical rubber bracelets that you see for fundraising, like the yellow one that Lance Armstrong made so popular for cancer research, although you can get a red, white and blue one like that, too. This beaded one is made of Swarovski crystals with sterling silver findings, toggle clasp, and MFA letter cubes. It's much nicer than I expected when I ordered it online.

You might think $35 is a bit much to spend on such a bracelet, and maybe it is, but
the way I look at it, I earned the right to have it. I had meningococcal meningitis and lived.

McPherson & Company sells bracelets with similar designs for other fundraisers, such as the American Diabetes Association, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and several others. With the sale of each bracelet, they will donate $5 to that organization. Yes, it's a small amount, and I wish more of the cost of the bracelet went to the sponsor, but every little bit helps. Besides, this one is actually an attractive fashion item. With a cause.

0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online