Sunday, May 6, 2007

I Live in the Buckeye State


That's Ohio, for those that don't know. The Buckeye tree is very common to the entire state, and its nut resembles the eye of a deer. The native Americans that lived in this area named the tree "hetuck" based on this resemblance.

Spring bloom of Aesculus globra

The Buckeye tree is commonly confused with the Horse Chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum). They appear to be identical, but a closer look will show that the Buckeye has five leaves and the Horse Chestnut has seven. Also, the seed pods containing the recognizable Buckeye seed are quite spiny on the Buckeye, while the Horse Chestnut's are more smooth.

Our Buckeye tree was given to us by my parents in 1980, as a seedling in honor of the birth of our first child, Kara.

*Buckeye seed photo from http://www.extension.iastate.edu


Join Green Thumb Sunday

15 comments:

RUTH said...

It's so interesting to read about the history of a plant and how it gets its common name.

kate said...

The bloom on this buckeye is beautiful. I have heard Ohio referred to as the "Buckeye State" and have wondered why. It didn't occur to me that a tree was involved!

Jean said...

What a beautiful photo! I've never seen a Buckeye tree that I know of.

MrBrownThumb said...

Like Kate I too was wondering about the name. Thanks for the pic and for the information. You reminded me that I have to post an entry on a weed that has a pretty cool history.

Anonymous said...

How nice to have such a lovely tree planted in honour of the birth of your child, and how nice that she seems to share your passion for gardening!

Muum said...

makes me miss Ohio, I was born and raised in the Darke county, Ohio area, and lived in Bryan, Ohio for two years. My sister and I used to make up games with the buckeyes from our buckeye tree when we were children.

Carol said...

It makes me miss my native state! Twenty-seven years in Ohio, been gone 15 years now. I miss seeing buckeyes (and eating them too!)

Thanks for sharing the pictures! I enjoy your blog!

Michelle said...

Like the others, I've wondered what these were like. Thanks for sharing! And now I know why those candies I made at Christmas were called 'buckeyes!' :)

Seedling said...

What a beautiful photograph and interesting topic. I can honestly say though I know Ohio is the Buckeye state, I had no idea the Buckeye was a tree. Thanks!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

So that are buckeyes. Thanks for the info Kylee and the lovely pics!

Mark said...

Hi, I like to find out how plants got their names, it all seems to come from the same era. The information about your daughter getting her plant bug rings a bell, i lost mine for a while and it seems to have come back with a vengance, just hope my wallet can cope.
Cheers Mark

Gotta Garden said...

I love the idea of memories in the garden and your daughter's tree is such a nice one.

Unknown said...

I was curious about a buck eye
My grandfather always carried one in his pocket. I always wondered why? now I know why I have the buck eye that he carried I am 51 yrs and he passed in 1969.
the buck eye has a hole in (maybe a little worm) I wonder if there is any way I could get one?
Thanks for the great site and info

Kylee Baumle said...

Vickie R - I have one I could send to you. Just e-mail me through my profile. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Kylee:)

blogger templates | Make Money Online