Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Taking the Easy Way Out


Seed-in-a-Blanket. It wasn't the name that caught my eye, but the picture on the front. As I was strolling down the aisle at Menard's, I recognized the beautiful blue bloom as one that I attempted to produce last summer and failed. Baby Blue Eyes. Nemophila menziesii. I planted the seeds, kept them watered, and got nothing. Just like with the poppies.


But I really love the delicate wildflower look that Nemophila has. Its bloom reminds me of blue flax, which I also love, and which didn't return this year after doing so well last year. I like the veining in the petals and the white eye zone. So when I saw the picture on the front of the box, I had to check it out.





Seeds are embedded in a special wood fiber mat. Germination is guaranteed. Easy peasy. A little more expensive, but if it gets me those pretty blue flowers, it would be worth it, so I bought a box. Besides, it's always fun to try something new.




I planted them today, with my ever-present garden helper Max, and it really was easy. There were six green seed mats in the box, and you could use them as they were packaged, or you could cut them into little squares.




Since I wanted to plant them with Buttercup Daisies (Sundrops - what
is the botanical name for these anyway?), I cut them into eight squares each.

You lay them out however you want them, and in my case, I left enough room in between the little mats for the Sundrop seeds. Once you have them put down, you water them and the seed mat kind of disintegrates. You had better have them where you want them before you water them, because you won't be able to move them after you do. You're not supposed to cover them with soil, but I needed to cover the Sundrop seeds a little, so I scattered a bit of mulch over those.

Max gets tired just watching me work in the garden.

You have to keep the seed mat moist until they germinate, which the enclosed instruction card says is about two weeks. I think this just may work, as long as the cats leave them alone. That's the biggest problem I have when I plant seeds in the garden. All that nicely tilled soil is an invitation for them to ... um ... dig. Not a bad thing entirely, but they could at least wait until I've got plants growing. Hopefully, that will be in about two weeks!


9 comments:

Muum said...

good luck, I have some in my yard, they do reseed themselves once they get going!

Unknown said...

Isn't it nice to have a garden supervisor in feline form? Tigger was helping me last night, mostly by bumping against me and purring, and we bring Mungus out on the harness to help me sometimes too. Otherwise he sits in the window and cries. Others in the herd who are allowed out unattended often stop by to see what I'm doing, while the rest nap, exhausted from watching.

Flax won't overwinter for me here, Kylie, and if it selfseeds, I've been a bad girl and 'weeded' it...oh well.....

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Good luck with the Flax Kylee. Lovely pics of Max, your little helper, on the garden bench. Very pretty, both of them.

BTW I tried to comment on your blog yesterday but it didn't work. Hopefully it will today!

Betty said...

I will be eagerly waiting to see how the seed mat turns out. I see them advertised but haven't tried them.

Enjoyed reading some of your previous postings. The pictures of your garden are beautiful....

Betty at Country Charm

kate said...

Max looks so comfy on his bench - as if he was guarding post-it notes underneath him.

I am curious to know more about the seed mat ... it is an interesting idea. I hope your Flax grows well!

Today while at the garden centre, I almost bought a pack of blue poppy seeds ... thought of you... and then figured I'd wait till next season. How's that for procrastination???

Kylee Baumle said...

Maybe my post is confusing, but I'm not growing flax. I'm trying to grow Nemophila or Baby Blue Eyes. It just reminds me of flax, which I don't have anymore.

I think I'll just have to be content with pictures of blue poppies, because the teeny seedlings I had going are not looking so good. *sigh*

Kylee Baumle said...

Post-It notes ... LOL! You're right! That IS what they look like!

Gotta Garden said...

Good luck with the Baby Blue Eyes! I had a couple plants last year that I got from Annie's Annuals and loved them...unfortunately for me, I don't think they reseeded. I love love love the picture of Max asleep on the bench...I have a ginger cat, too, who is just the sweetest cat...I bet Max is also!

Kylee Baumle said...

Max IS the sweetest thing! He would lay on your lap all day if you let him. And he drools when you pet him! LOL!

blogger templates | Make Money Online