Friday, May 18, 2007

STOMP!


Last night, Romie and I went to Fort Wayne to see Stomp perform at the Embassy Theatre. I'd been wanting to see them for years, but just never got around to going. My sister-in-law Angie asked me about a month ago if we'd be interested in buying a couple of extra tickets she had. Snatched them right up, even though they were $45 each.

The only time I've ever paid that much or more for tickets for a performance was when The Moody Blues were in town, performing with the Fort Wayne Philharmonic. That was a birthday present for Romie, who really likes The Moody Blues. When we were dating, Nights in White Satin was one of 'our' songs. That was a fabulous performance, worth every penny.

Stomp was very good, also, and I'm glad we got to see/hear them. Our seats were good, being smack dab in the center of the main floor. The Embassy is a wonderful small venue, with pretty much every seat being a good one.

While we were driving to Ft. Wayne, Romie asked me why I wanted to see this group perform, since it bugs the crap out of me when he starts banging on the table, tapping his fingers or a pencil to some unknown rhythm in his head, or he jingles the change in his pockets. I don't know...maybe I'd like it better if he got paid for doing it.

I think it has more to do with how Stomp involves the use of unlikely objects as percussion instruments. Things like matchboxes, brooms, trash cans, paint scrapers, plastic tubes, wooden poles, kitchen sinks, plungers. Plungers!


If you've ever been fortunate enough to attend a performance by Stomp, then you know it's an interactive, noisy ordeal. And I fell asleep in the middle of it. All day yesterday, I was just out of it and by the end of my day, I was really just wanting to curl up on the couch. I didn't really sleep through any of the performance, but my eyelids kept wanting to close and stay that way, and I found myself doing the head nodding thing more than once.

But it was really a unique, outstanding, good show. Honest!

2 comments:

kate said...

I'd love to see Stomp perform. I like the pic you have here.

The nodding off sensation ... I know that well. Some days are just like that ... I hope you have a good weekend!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Sounds like a great night out!

blogger templates | Make Money Online