Sunday, November 11, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday - Sunset Foxglove

Sunset Foxglove (Digitalis obscura)

This little beauty was one of my most recent purchases when Mom and I made our last trip to Cleveland in October. I didn't expect to see any blooms from it this fall, since it normally blooms around June. Surprise! A little more than a week ago, I noticed a bloom stalk and because we were having night temperatures at or below freezing, I was covering it. Then I got lazy and decided not to do that. It didn't matter!

A native of Spain and hardy in zones 5-9, the foliage on this foxglove isn't typical of foxgloves I've had before. You can see it's kind of willow-like and quite dense. It's supposed to be drought-tolerant once established and if we have another summer in 2008 like we did this year, this will be a very good characteristic to have in our garden. It grows in pretty much any soil, too. Tough little shrubby perennial, this one!

Join Green Thumb Sunday


verobirdie said...

Very nice plant, and a good surprise too. I make a note about this one for my garden. Thanks for the tip!

jodi said...

I love it! I WANT it! Who says you can't get plant-lust in November....? :-)

sisah said...

Lovely plant, lovely photo. I´ll write the name down for the next season, as I love foxgloves and to have a perennial one in my garden would be nice, the most species I know are biennials.
I always find something interesting on your sites, maybe you'd like to know I found the Echinacea purpurea 'Hearts' I admired once here in your blog-garden on a garden-market in Berlin!
Have a nive GTS

ACey said...

Count me in as somebody else who has put this on my must-have list. I definitely need to find some more plants that are drought resistant, too!

No Rain said...

Nice photo. I think we have those here--not sure as I've not had any in my garden. The name certainly sounds familiar. Happy GTS,

Rosehaven Cottage said...

I'm like Jodi... now I want it! I have to figure out how to pick one up. It would be perfect if it's drought-tolerant! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Ewa said...

My friend says that plants return love, especially when they bloom at unusual season,

Lynda Lehmann said...

Since I'm not a very good gardener, do you think it would grow in a pot in my livingroom?


Kylee said...

Thanks for loving my foxglove as much as I do. :-) I added the photo of the entire plant in case you wanted to see that.

Lynda ~ Growing in a pot...hmmm...I haven't seen anywhere that you can do that, but it is a pretty tough plant so maybe even you can grow it outside. ;-)

Online, High Country Gardens and Bluestone Perennials sell the plants and Diane's Flower Seeds and J.L. Hudson Seeds sell the seeds. None of them are expensive.

I found this on one site only: If the first flower stem is left to seed it will be bi-ennial, & die. If that flower stem is taken off, say when half finished, the plant will carry on as a perennial, & grow well to flower the next year or so. However, like most foxgloves, it pays to let it self-seed towards the end of it's 2nd year, as sometimes it will die out. Although classed as a perennial it is better to be prepared for replanting, or try to grow some seed.

Blackswamp_Girl said...

Kylee, I love that unusual form/foliage! You didn't get this one when you were with me, did you? I can't imagine that I wouldn't have picked one up, too if I saw it.

Kylee said...

Kim ~ No, I didn't buy it at the Strongsville Petitti's. I got it at their Avon location the day before. I don't think I even saw any at the Strongsville store. I love the foliage, too!

Blackswamp_Girl said...

Whew... that makes me feel a little better. I've been wondering how I could have missed out on that cool plant! lol.

blogger templates | Make Money Online