Thursday, November 15, 2007

November Blooms at Our Little Acre


Wow! Here it is, halfway through November, and we've still got blooms in the garden! I feel like we're hanging by a thread here though and if the weather forecasters are correct, by this time next week, there may be nothing left at all. So let's sit back and enjoy the waning autumn color we've got:






We've got some chrysanthemums that have come and gone, but a few are still going strong, like this Prophet Series one that my grandma gave me this fall.








Calendula officinalis - I grew these from seed saved from last year. Next year I'm going to try a couple of different cultivars, including 'Citrus Smoothies'.


Rosa 'About Face' has one last gift for us before winter.














These Pansies (Viola) were grown from seed and are 'Park's Whopper Red'. You can see there can be quite a variation in color at this time of year. The one on the left is the usual appearance.


Dianthus 'Bouquet Pink Magic' - This is the one I couldn't resist buying in the spring. It was a good purchase, because it has bloomed non-stop the entire season.


Petunia 'Nautical Blue Mix' makes me think it will go right on blooming in spite of the coming cold weather. Snow, even. I have noticed the colors of the blooms are now a much deeper, darker color than they were earlier in the season, when it was warmer.


Chrysanthemum / Dendranthema 'Bolero' - The reason I've given two genus names for this one is because the people who assign plants with such things can't make up their minds. The current correct genus for this one is Chrysanthemum. Next week it could be something else.


Chrysanthemum x rubellum 'Clara Curtis' - Still going...





Lonicera x brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet', which the butterflies, hummingbirds, and clearwing moth caterpillars loved all summer, is still trying to attract something, even though its biggest fans have already gone south for the winter.





The Chinese Forget-Me-Nots (Cynoglossum amabile) are also still blooming, though it doesn't have as many blooms as a month ago.


The Yellow Scabiosa (Scabiosa ochroleuca) surprised me! I didn't expect to see it and it's more ivory than yellow now.


Rose of Heaven (Silene coeli-rosa 'Cherry Blossom') is putting out a few blooms, paler than its earlier ones, with some of them being nearly all white. This annual is sometimes listed as Viscaria , Agrostemma, or Lychnis instead of Silene and it is known to self-seed.













I think the English Daisies (Bellis perennis) like the cooler weather over the warmer summer temperatures. They're blooming more and the foliage doesn't get droopy like it did in July and August.


Fall-blooming crocus















The various cultivars of Gaillardia are still blooming, too, although the blooms are a little smaller in diameter.


Gaillardia 'Golden Goblin' just beginning to open.





The red
Gerbera daisy is looking a little ragged, but still...









Gray-headed coneflower (Ratibida pinnata)


Echinacea purpurea 'Pink Double Delight'


Pelargonium


Hydrangea macrophylla Forever and Ever® 'Double Pink'
Endless Summer
® 'Blushing Bride' is also blooming - heavily!


Veronica spicata 'Icicle'
Notice the cat hair?
I see this on the flowers in my photos quite often. ;-)


Rudbeckia hirta 'Prairie Sun' bloom is looking good, if not the foliage. I grew this one from seed and it's still blooming while the one I bought as a plant earlier this year at Walmart finished blooming a couple of weeks ago or more.


Hardy geranium (Geranium sanguineum var. striatum) is still trying to bloom.


Johnny Jump-Ups (Viola tricolor)



Others currently in bloom:

  • Campanula sp.
  • Gaura
  • Coreopsis 'Sweet Dreams'
  • Doublefile Viburnum (Viburnum plicatum)
  • Lobelia 'Crystal Palace'
  • Delphinium elatum 'Magic Fountain Mix'
  • Nodding Ladies' Tresses (Spiranthes cernua)
  • Sedum 'Autumn Fire'
  • Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
  • Verbena
  • Lamium
  • Gazania
  • Miniature Roses
  • Clematis 'Jackmanii'
  • Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' is still blooming now that I've brought it inside for the winter. I really hope I'm able to keep it happy in here. So far, so good!
  • Scotch Heather (Calluna vulgaris 'Tib')


And though they don't look like 'flowers', these grasses are blooming:

  • Porcupine Grass (Miscanthis sinensis 'Strictus')
  • Fountain Grass (Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln')
  • Northern Sea Oats (Chasmantheum latifolium)
  • Hakone Grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola')
  • Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus')


I'm finding it a little more difficult to take clear macro photos at this time of the year due to the windy weather. And I swear, no matter what time of year it is, when I get all situated and have the perfect photo framed up, one of three things will happen just as I'm about to press the shutter release:
  1. A gust of wind appears out of nowhere.
  2. One of the cats either walks into the frame or rubs up against my hand that's holding the camera.
  3. A bug will crawl up my nose or into my ear.

So what do you have blooming for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day?


20 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

You have so many flowers for Ohio in mid-November, Kylee - but it's not all global warming. Some of it is that you've planted such an enormous number of flowers that the odds were shifted in your favor!

I like those calendulas - and have had the same puff of wind ruining my photos too.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Carol Michel said...

Clearly you've not had a killing frost yet. You've got so much going blooming now, it's amazing.

Thanks for participating in bloom day again!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Muum said...

That is such a long list, and the flowers are looking so lovely! I will get mine up when the sun comes up here. I especially like your blue Petunia, I'll have to look for that one for next year.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have lots of great color left. You've reminded me that I must grow calendulas again next year. And oh, the intensity of that cynoglossum--lovely! Thanks for sharing the bounty of your garden today.

Kylee Baumle said...

Carol ~ Actually, we HAVE had a killing frost! On the 2nd it got down to 27° and on the 3rd it was 29°. You should have seen the volunteer amaranth after that. Oh my, so sad how it was limp and droopy. It was in the process of blooming, too. :-(

Entangled said...

What a beautiful post for mid-November (or any time for that matter)! I was expecting to see a lot of flowers from the southern gardeners, but never thought I'd find so many in Ohio. It's really brightened up the gray day here in Virginia.

Anonymous said...

You have a lot going on in Ohio. Very pretty flowers, and really nice photos too, despite the gusts of wind, cats, and bugs up your nose.

Shady Gardener said...

Beautiful photographs! I've just been looking around at your site a bit. You have beautiful gardens. (I spotted a tricyrtis under your Ginko tree! It reminds me of my Lightning Strikes.

Kylee Baumle said...

Welcome, new visitors to Our Little Acre! :-)

Good call, Shady Gardener! That IS 'Lightning Strike'!

Unknown said...

WOW, Kylee! All of this after a killing frost, how wonderful. The petunia is so dark and velvety... fitting for our coming cold temperatures somehow. :) And I LOVE those calendula. Someone please remind me why I didn't plant any this year and pulled my overwinterer out? *sigh* Stupidity, I guess!

verobirdie said...

You still have beautiful flowers!
My favourite is the Gray-headed coneflower :-)
Thank you for this walk into colors.

Unknown said...

Wow, the blue petunia really caught my eye. And your tree foliage shots in the next entry are just beautiful. I covet them since we get so little tree color down here in Austin.

Anonymous said...

Wow what an amazing array of beautiful flowers. I was drawn to comment about the chrysanthemums which are lovely but then it is hard to have a favourite with so many beautiful blooms. sara from farmingfriends

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What gorgeous blooms still in your garden Kylee.

I too have been having trouble with my macro in the gray light. At least now I have something other than myself to blame. "Bug up my or into my ear" I will have to rememeber that one. tee hee

Gotta Garden said...

Lovely, lovely! Such wonderful things to see! I forgot all about Bloom Day (again)! Hmmm, maybe tomorrow I'll go out and have a look around...although cold weather is blowing in our way...Thanks for brightening my day!

Unknown said...

Kylee, these are amazing !! Now, here's what I want to know--do you find you appreciate flowers even more NOW, when they might be a bit bedraggled but tend to stand out because they are rare?
The chinese forgetmenot is a favourite--but I forgot to deadhead mine so they went to seed ages ago. Here's hoping they seed themselves--I find they aren't overzealous like their myosotis relatives, at least not here.
Cat hair? With eight cats, we get to call it part of our decor, fashion statements, and oh yes, our gardens, don't we?

Ewa said...

Kylee, This post is great! it makes me exactly sure what I want in my November garden. ooh... I want orange flowers! I wanter them for this year already, but somehow in September I couldn't see any in the nurseries. I also was about to sow some calendulas, but there was alway something that stopped me and was more important.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Well, it's wonderful to see so many blooms in November. Is it me or do we both have more than our usual share of blooms this month? When I look out the window it looks more like (early) October than November to me. Not complaining of course. ;-)

Your petunia Nautical Blue mix looks very striking, such wonderful colour! And the Chinese forget-me-not looks great too, such lovely blue. I notice that I'm very much drawn to blue flowers at the moment, perhaps it has to do with all that red, yellow and gold I'm visually bombarded with outside.

Here's hoping that Jack Frost will stay away from your garden a bit longer. He visited mine last night.

Priscilla George said...

Beautiful blooms. I love garden bloggers bloom day because I get to see so many new things and add so many to my must have list.

Ki said...

Wow Kylee, it's amazing that you still have so many things blooming. We planted some Bellis this spring but have been disappointed in the number of blooms. It seemed they were best when they were still in the containers. We only had one or two flowers in early fall and none at all now.

blogger templates | Make Money Online