Sunday, December 2, 2007

Blogger and I Had a Spat


After trying to upload several kitty pictures over the weekend so that I could make a post in answer to Yolanda Elizabet's tag and wrangling with Blogger (with Blogger winning), I've given up. Oh, the post will be made at some point (in a couple of days or so), but right now I'm actually sick of looking at it. Forgive me, Yolanda Elizabet! Or rather, please forgive Blogger, because it's all Blogger's fault.

In other news, the weather seems not to be able to make up its mind, which is typical as one season flows into another. Snow flurries fell on Saturday for about ten minutes (and you had to be sure to wear glasses to see them), then sleet pinged against the windows towards evening. Today we awoke to a balmy 54° and the threat of rain hanging in the air.

It's chancy that we'll have this warm of a day again much before March or April, so Romie and I took advantage of it to hang little white lights on the pergola. Again.

Several years ago, we strung them all along the top rails and put a timer to them so they'd come on at dusk and go off around midnight or so. Over the years, the bulbs burned out and we replaced them as we could find the bulbs but of course the time came that we couldn't find the bulbs anymore. This summer, we tore down the old ones and debated whether we should replace them or not.


We missed the ambience that they created and I'm happy to say we once again have pergola lights. With the large windows overlooking the patio area, it is a nice effect to look out and see them twinkling.

The gold and red Christmas balls are also hanging and this evening are actually hanging on for dear life as we are having sustained winds of 20-30 mph, with gusts to 40 mph. Out here in the open, with no wind breaks, it's very loud. The temperature has dropped to 36° and we're expecting snow flurries again by morning.

Like I said, the weather can't make up its mind, but it could be worse and we may as well get used to it.

But inside, we've got blooms! The variegated brugmansia that Mom gave me at the end of the summer is blooming again. This is the second time since October. I had gone down to the basement greenhouse to check on things and before I even set foot into the storage room, I could smell the flowers. It bloomed beautifully shortly after she gave it to me, then once I brought it inside for the winter, it promptly dropped all its leaves. Just as quickly, new ones started pushing out and in no time I could see flower buds forming.

I don't know the cultivar of this variegated one ('Maya' ?), but the fragrance it exudes is out of this world. So, so sweet and dreamy. They should figure out a way to duplicate it because it would be a bestselling air freshener or women's perfume.

And this is why I garden indoors all winter long.

7 comments:

Pam/Digging https://www.penick.net/digging said...

Your pergola lights are festive. I think that once you enjoy lights in your garden, you can't do without them again.

Your comment about 54 degrees feeling balmy struck me as funny. Here, 54 degrees is quite cool for a high and would have most folks scrambling for jackets.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love those pergola lights. Lights are the thing I like best about christmas. Our world becomes so dark during winter and the lights lift my spirits.

I can only imagine the brugmansia. To have a lovely summery fragrance during winter...aaaahhhhhh.

Meems said...

Hi Kylee:
After wrangling with Blogger myself last night it actually gobbled a comment I tried to leave for you. Hate it when that happens.

The lights on your pergola are a nice view through the big windows... and your balmy temp of 54 is a rare low in these parts of florida. :-)

I'm not an Oprah fan (gasp) but her favorite things feature is always interesting. The list you published is one I can actually buy into. The microfiber socks will be in all my girls' stockings this year. Thanks for the help.:-)

Do you mind if I link to your blog from mine? I'm working on updating links on my blog and yours is one I always enjoy catching up to when I have a few moments.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

The lights are lovely. It's so magical to see the snow falling through that kind of light.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

It was so windy here too. Love the lights on the pergola.

Unknown said...

Aha, Blogger is being very bad lately! I don't know what's up, but it's annoying when you can't post, or when people take the time to comment and then their comments get eaten.
Weather is throwing a tantrum here again, with windspeeds way up and snow blowing around in circles. At least it's nearly dark so I can ignore it til morning (or til we go out to check on the horse and donkey later this evening.)

Kylee Baumle said...

Pam ~ Yes, we got used to those lights and they're once again bringing a cozy feeling in the evenings. And for sure, we had jackets on, too. After the short cold snap, this felt relatively warm, though, especially for December 1st!

Lisa ~ I know what you mean about winter being so dark. I went out and tried to take a couple of pictures just before 5:00 this evening and my camera said it recommended flash! UGH.

meems ~ I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings! :-) And yes, of course you may link to my blog. I'd be honored.

rosie ~ Oh yes, they look ethereal when the snow is coming down through the lights. We might get to see that tonight!

Robin ~ That wind was nasty, wasn't it? Romie was surprised we didn't lose a couple of shingles, but all is well.

Jodi ~ I can't even imagine how the wind must be up on a hill by a body of water. Brrrr!!! Stay warm!

blogger templates | Make Money Online