Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Greetings from Long Ago



When I was a child, I was fascinated with things from the world of my grandparents and great-grandparents. I tried to imagine what life was like then, knowing it was vastly different in many ways than my own. I often wished I could be a time traveler just for a day or two and be with them "back then."

I don't know how long my infatuation with my family history and the times in which they lived and worked lasted, but it spilled out into the material I chose to read and the objects I selected to surround myself with. My bedroom during most of my growing-up years contained a mahogany four-poster bed with matching nightstands and a massive mirrored dresser that had belonged to my grandparents. It was the bed I'd slept in as a little, little girl when I spent the night at their house. It was the bed where I'd sleepily lay, listening to Grandma read stories from Old Mother West Wind and sing Froggie Went A-Courtin'.

I was so happy when I was able to have that bedroom suit for my very own. It followed me to my college apartment and then to our first and second homes after Romie and I married. It was the first "big bed" that Kara slept in under the Precious Moments quilt I'd made her. We don't have that bedroom suit anymore and I don't remember who bought it, but I hope they realize what a treasure they own.

I also managed to acquire a small collection of vintage postcards. They were purchased when my elementary school girlfriend Cheryl and I would tag along with her parents as they visited antique stores. I was fascinated with the ornate cards so different and much more beautiful than the postcards made in the 1960s. I still have these cards that were sent so long ago to celebrate Easter, Birthdays, Love, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.


Merry Christmas to you from ages past ...

Sent December 18, 1913


Sent December 24, 1912


Sent December 21, 1914


Sent December 11, 1912


Sent December 23, 1922





12 comments:

Barbara said...

These old cards are so beautiful. I still remember the beautiful cards that my Grandmother had but nobody thought to keep them in those days. Often covered in silk and lace and embroidered.
Have a great Christmas and Blessed New Year.

Unknown said...

I'm with Barbara on this; these cards are wonderful. We have some that I often put out on tables as decorations at this time of year; the artwork is wonderful, and the comments on the cards are often quite entertaining.
Joyful Christmas to you, Romie, the girls and the catchildren, my friend!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What treasures you have in those old post cards and the wonderful memories of your grand parents.

Thanks so much for sharing both.

kate said...

The lettering and the decoration on the 'Christmas Chimes' card is incredible. Ah, too receive a card lettered like this.

What a beautiful card collection you have.

Anonymous said...

I love the old post cards. I went to an antique store a few weeks ago, and they had hundreds of them. All with notes on the back. I felt so sad for the family that gave them up. I hope that they don't someday regret it.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

How wonderful! You know, you and I are so much alike it's scary. I did the same thing as a child. I was collecting vintage stuff and enamored with old family heirlooms ever since I can remember. It always gave me a sense of who I really was--and still does. Thank you for reminding of that this Christmas Eve! Merry Christmas, Kylee! Love, Cindy (and Brent & the kitties)

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story Kylee and would you be very surprised if I told you that I sleep in a four-poster bed? Hilarious when you have kittycats who love to climb. ;-)

Those vintage cards are lovely,you have a wonderful collection of them.

Merry Christmas Kylee to you and yours!

Unknown said...

What cool vintage cards--I wish someone would reprint some of those, especially the "Christmas Chimes" one, so we could send them out nowadays. :)

I have a couple of old cards, but they are family cards. One is a particularly lovely one with an embroidered bouquet of flowers on very thin silk inset into the front. It was sent by my great-grandfather to his mother for Mother's Day during WWI, and the card says he is, "Somewhere in Europe" because they were not able to divulge their locations to their families, of course. Makes me pensive every time I come across it.

Connie said...

Wonderful postcards! I am a lover of all things vintage. Hope you had a great Christmas with your family.

Mamma Sarah said...

WOw, you have a great scanner if you scanned those in yourself!!

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you so much for the lovely greetings. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends. Looking forward to 2008. :-)

Entangled said...

Hope your Christmas was Merry! I love those old cards too - my mother occasionally buys some and reworks them into new cards and decorations. Somehow they look more Christmas-y to me than newer ones.

blogger templates | Make Money Online