Tuesday, December 4, 2007

First Snow . . . Night


It's 11:00 PM and we're getting our first snow of the season. It's one of those easy, floaty kind. No wind and it's nearly thirty degrees (F), so you hardly notice the cold until you've been out there for awhile and then you see your breath in front of you. I remember the first snow of the year last year was like this, too, and Romie and I went for a walk in it, around midnight.

It's a special, ethereal feeling, walking down the road in the dark like that. Dark, yet even a crescent moon provides enough light to see by as it's reflected off the pristine white ground. The only sound you can hear is the muted squeak of your boots as you are the first one to make impressions in the new snow. The air is crisp and smells as clean as if God created it just that very second. We walked along for awhile, neither of us saying much, just relishing the peacefulness that wrapped its arms around us. We returned home and snuggled down to sleep in our warm bed.



Just now, I took Boo and Luna out to the pool house for the night, then returned to the house for my camera. The new lights on the pergola shone down on the thin layer of snow on the ground creating a romantic glow. I could have stood there for a lot longer were it not for my nose getting colder.


Tomorrow morning will bring a winter wonderland and I'll go out with camera in hand to see if I can capture some of it. As much as I dislike winter, there's something magical about the first snow . . .

8 comments:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

How lovely and poetic your writing is in this post! It made me remember the first snows of years past when I was a kid in Colorado. Such a neat feeling that came alive thanks to your wonderfully crafted words. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Ohhhhh, you've got snow!!!! How lovely. We hardly ever get any snow during winter. Love the new pergola lights!

Anonymous said...

I love your decorated pergola! Must post some pictures also! The first snow, especially when it is a quiet one, is magical. Can't wait to see your 'snow' pictures!

Naturegirl said...

Kylee you capture the mood of the gentle snow fall beautifully with your words! Like a song! Your lights make it look magical I can imagine standing there in person!

Your comment on my blog re:~newly fallen snow~.. "one good blizzard and then we could have Spring!" I like that idea!This year the weatherman warns us that we shall have the
((((COLDEST))) winter in 15 yrs!!!!
staying warm NG

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I can't wait to see more snow pictures. We haven't had any snow as yet. Love that mood lighting too.

Earth Girl said...

My husband and I also love taking midnight walks and they are even more special with new snow, although a full moon or shooting stars or a heavy mist are also special. This has been are "alone" time for years, ever since the boys were old enough to leave for a few minutes.

Christine Boles said...

I bury my nose in a scarf; I'm such a sissy about the cold, but I love the way snow looks on the land!

kate smudges said...

That sounds like a perfect sort of first snow. They are so much better than the blizzard-light snowstorms.

The pergola looks beautiful with the lights ...

blogger templates | Make Money Online