Thursday, March 27, 2008

Saffron Spring


The calendar says it's spring, but outside, winter is still gasping for air. Yesterday was the nicest day we've had all year, with temps nearing 60°. The next couple of days we're going back to winter-like weather and snow flurries are even predicted for later tonight.

Last year at this time, we were in Florida for a week's vacation. When we had left home, the only things blooming were the snowdrops and a crocus. When we returned the first of April, spring had sprung in the garden, all in the matter of a week's time.


Yesterday, the first crocus burst into bloom, which says to me that the gardens are just about ready to pop into full-out springiness.


This one is part of a mix of giant crocus so there will be purples and whites eventually blooming right along with this luscious saffron-colored one.

Speaking of saffron, the spice comes from the style and stigma of the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus), a fall-blooming species. It is the most expensive spice by weight and is native to southwest Asia. Saffron is what gives the rice in paella its characteristic golden yellow color.


A purple one is ready to open, too. It may have been open in the afternoon and I didn't see it because I was working. Late in the day as the sun sets, the crocus close up.

__________________
Saffron information from Wikipedia.

14 comments:

Priscilla George said...

Great looking crocuses. At least this year you will hopefully get see spring creep up!

plantgurus said...

Awwwww...I love seeing bulbs pop out from the ground. Great pictures! Don't you just love spring?

Connie said...

Oh! Cheers for your crocuses....we WILL have Spring after all this year. :-)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I'm glad to see you finally got some flowers blooming out there. Hopefully they'll still be there when this snow melts.

Anonymous said...

The first crocus in my garden opened yesterday too....it's purple, and at last, something is blooming outside!!! cathy in southwest Ohio.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Beautiful yellow crocus, Kylee.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Don't you just love those first crocus when they begin to bloom? I could just take a bite out of the big yellow one. Just last night I read that it takes 4000 flowers to make one ounce of saffron. No wonder it is so expensive.

I wanted to tell you that when I pulling the pussy willow out of the vase to get rid of the stems I found that they had made roots just like yours did. I stuck several in the soft mud out back. I will see if they live. Someone might want one.

Hang in there Kylee, spring is creeping in.

joey said...

Delightful crocus, Kylee. I'm a teeny-tiny bit envious since snow is falling ... again. Spring is a bit bashful this year!

Karen said...

Great pictures of your crocus! Yesterday evening I noticed mine are starting to show signs of beginning blooms. For me this is much later than last year for the first bloom. Crazy weather I suppose.

Anonymous said...

That saffron crocus is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

I love those brillant yellow crocus!

Kylee Baumle said...

Everyone ~ Thanks for your comments! More crocus have since opened up and the other bulbs are inching their way out of the ground, too. Spring is definitely here!

Lisa ~ Hooray for your willows! Amazing how easy they are to propagate, isn't it?

Unknown said...

*sigh* I planted saffron crocus in fall 2006... but never did see any of the little guys come up and bloom. I thought maybe I'd get to have some of the most expensive spice in the world for free!

Maybe I should try a vanilla-bearing orchid instead?! ;)

Kylee Baumle said...

Kim, from what I understand, saffron crocus are fall-bloomers and the fall-blooming crocus I planted took a full two years to bloom after they were planted, so maybe there's hope for yours?

I hope I didn't mislead anyone by calling these saffron crocus when they aren't. I was referring to their color.

blogger templates | Make Money Online