Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Unknown


This has been a strange last few days, with our emotions running high and low and back again. Tuesday, I got a phone call from Romie while he was on his lunch break at work. He'd awakened that morning with slight chest pain and was still having it. Could I please get him an appointment with the doctor?

They saw him immediately, did an ECG, which was normal, but ordered a stress test for Thursday. I had to work on Thursday, so I wasn't with him for the stress test, but he called and left a message on my cell phone. I listened to my messages during my lunch break and was pleased to hear him tell me that he'd done well. So well, that they declared his heart in better than average condition for a 50-year-old man. Romie is 54.

He'd had to run on the treadmill for 14 minutes before his heart rate reached the desired level. Most people reach it by 10 minutes. He experienced no pain or discomfort during the testing.


At the end of my work day, I again checked my cell phone for messages and noticed that I'd missed two calls from our doctor's office, as well as one from Romie. I listened to my voice mail and a message from Romie said that the doctor had called back a couple of hours after his stress test to say that when the cardiologist had read the test results, she had seen something abnormal.

It suggested that the blood flow in one or more arteries of the heart wasn't what it should be and
an appointment was made with the cardiologist for Friday. I was supposed to work again that day, but of course needed to be with Romie and one of my co-workers graciously offered to work for me.

We were both nervous as we met with the cardiologist and hung on every word he said.
He asked Romie several questions, listened to his heart, lungs, and several arteries, then explained matters to us in great detail. Results such as Romie's can be caused by one of two things:

  1. A blockage in one or more arteries of the heart
  2. An exceptionally strong and healthy heart muscle
It was the doctor's opinion that it was number two, based on Romie's health history and regular activity levels (with no pain on exertion). But because his dad had had a heart attack at age 49, then triple bypass surgery, he recommended that heart catheterization be done. It is the only way to know for sure what is causing the abnormal readings.

So, while the cardiologist feels that Romie has an 85% chance that his heart is very healthy, on Tuesday we will go to the hospital in Lima to determine for sure.
Although we left the office feeling a little better than when we got there, this was not the most enjoyable way to spend our Friday - especially when it was our 33rd wedding anniversary.

We're praying that Tuesday brings us good news. We'd be grateful if you could pray for the same.


August 1, 1975

13 comments:

Shibaguyz said...

Sending our best energies your way.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Happy Anniversary Kylee. You bet I will be praying that you get equally happy results from the test.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about this! My dad went through a quadruple bypass at age 38, about 15 years ago. This past year he had some other heart work done because some of the arteries were failing again.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

garden girl said...

Kylee, that's quite a way to spend an anniversary. My heart goes out to you, and I hope everything will turn out fine.

Although my husband and I are still newlyweds, we've gone through a few health scares already, so I can really relate.

Anonymous said...

Kylee,

I hope things go smoothly with your husband and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Helen/patientgardener said...

My thought are with you

Sky said...

sending positive energy for a healthy report and happy anniverary wishes.

growingagardenindavis said...

I'll be keeping you in my prayers...please let us know how it goes. And congratulations on you anniversary...let's hope you can really celebrate on Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Kylee and Romie, I'm sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way!

I know that you'll be in good hands in Lima. The doctors at St. Rita's--particularly Dr. Shaheen--saved my dad (at the also relatively young age of 47) several years ago after he had a heart attack that ruined a valve, and had to have emergency surgery. (Had that cardiac unit not been opened there, he wouldn't be with us today--he was never stable enough to have made the journey up to Toledo or down to Dayton.)

With a non-emergency double-check like Romie is getting, I'm sure they will be similarly wonderful! (((Hugs to Kylee)))

Unknown said...

Oh, and most importantly, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Thirty-three years, that's wonderful--congrats! :)

Katie said...

Good vibes to you an Romie that he's super healthy.

Connie said...

Happy Anniversary! Praying for you....

Kylee Baumle said...

Thank you so much, Everyone, for all the good wishes and prayers. We're hoping for good news tomorrow!

And neither of us can figure out where the last 33 years has gone! If any of you knows, please tell us! :-)

Kim ~ We'll be at Memorial, not St. Rita's, but we really like the doctor. We feel very confident in his abilities. I've heard of Dr. Shaheen, though, and I'm glad he was able to help your dad!

blogger templates | Make Money Online