Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sun Showers


I guess if we can't have rain showers, we'll just have to be temporarily satisfied with 'Sun Showers'. Kinda purty, ain't it?

Hibiscus 'Sun Showers'

I purchased this tropical hibiscus two winters ago and this summer I decided to plant it in the ground instead of keeping it in a pot. Good move! Just this past week, it bloomed for the first time ever. The blooms are huge and the color is a luscious shade of red/orange/yellow/pink with 'showers' of yellow sun speckling its edges. And when this bloom is done, there are two more in the works.

I'll be potting it up for the winter in a few weeks and it will be kept in the greenhouse in the basement until next spring, when I'll plant it out again. I have a Chinese lantern type also, which bloomed once, but I failed to snap a photo of it. It too was pretty, but the bloom was much smaller on that one.


Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Sun Showers'

Zone: 9-10
Light: Full sun
Growth rate: Fast
Water requirements: Keep evenly moist, but don't overwater
Fertilize monthly during bloom season with a general purpose plant food



Join Green Thumb Sunday

11 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kylee ... that is one gorgeous flower ! If I had the space .. well, the garage is a dreamof hubby .. but a greenhouse is MY DREAM : ) .. I would love to over winter plants like that .. to have them during the summer makes you feel like you are in a tropical paradise ! great picture !
Joy

Helen/patientgardener said...

Gorgeous

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Your post has reminded me that I need to get brave and try my hand at hibiscus in my Hawaii garden. I'm thinking they would winter over well here without having to come inside. But where do you find your varieties?

Cindy

Lisa at Greenbow said...

A beautiful hibiscus Kylee. I had a yellow one for about 5 years. I finally got tired of cleaning up the leaves it dropped every winter and left it out. I can't say I miss it. This red one is a winner though.

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, Beautiful hibiscus. I have a "plain red" one that I bring indoors in the winter. I believe I may have to check around for more variety! :-)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty bloom. Love the yellow sprinkled in with the red!

Anonymous said...

Sun Showers is a keeper, Kylee. It looks very happy where you've put it.~~Dee

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Oh, that flower is decadent!

joey said...

Wow ... now that's a HUMDINGER, Kylee!

My Mother's Garden said...

WoW! That is an EXQUISITE Hibiscus, I bet you were thrilled with joy when it bloomed for you.
Karrita

Unknown said...

Wow! Now that's a luscious, tropical-looking hibiscus!

(And I'm so jealous of your monarch cats that I can't bring myself to comment there just yet. But know that I'm enjoying being a vicarious monarch caretaker through you. *grin*)

blogger templates | Make Money Online