Monday, August 4, 2008

Putting Up a Front


I was at work today and happened to look out one of the building's west windows and noticed it was getting dark. I moved closer to get a better look at our chances of getting some badly needed rain and was surprised at what I saw in the sky.


A front was moving through and it was the most graphic display of this that I have ever seen. The sky looked as if a tidal wave of sorts was moving in on us. It progressed very slowly eastward, getting darker by the second.


Along with my co-workers, I stepped outside to get a better look and captured several images. A look around the surrounding buildings showed us that we weren't the only ones looking at the sky. Several were craning their necks in wonder at the "crack" in the sky. Julie said, "Uh...is Jesus coming back now?" and I knew exactly why she'd said it.


It appeared as if the sky were literally opening up to reveal something mysterious above it. The thick, dark curtain cloud moved slowly over us and while we hoped it would yield some precious rain, we only got a sprinkling.


The evening news made mention of the strange sky, and had pictures similar to the ones I took that are shown here. Just the sky, putting up a front, making us believe it would let down the rain.


Maybe next time.


18 comments:

Karen said...

Those are some amazing pictures!

Mother Nature said...

It looks rather sci-fi doesn't it?

Helen/patientgardener said...

Very spooky!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Wow, that is really freaky! You did a great job capturing that phenomenon. Enjoy the rain I sent you today.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a sight. Great pictures.

growingagardenindavis said...

Very cool photos...I've never seen anything like that!

Anonymous said...

Incredible. It makes one feel very insignificant, doesn't it?

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is so erie when you can actually see a front move through. I hope you got the rain you needed.

Jessica said...

I have never seen anything like that! I'm not sure what I'd do if I encountered it--probably run and hide:) I think I've seen too many movies ;)

It really is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Wow...just...wow. I've never seen the sky do something quite like that before either. Absolutely amazing. I'm so glad you could capture it and share the photos with us.

Katie said...

That is totally cool! I would have peed myself if I had witnessed this in person!

Ewa said...

OMG! This looks like "end" - doesn't it? or a sci-fi hollywood production :)
Thanks for sharing,
Ewa

A New England Life said...

Everytime I look at these pictures I am in awe. What a great job you did capturing the moment! How many other people take their camera to work anyway? Good thing you do!

~Sharon

Garden Lily said...

Wow! Creepy but beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I have lived so many places and I have never seen the sky look like that, ever. Did anyone on your local news explain what caused it? Bizarre. Good for you for documenting!

MrBrownThumb said...

OMG,

What the heck is that? It looks like a...I don't know what it looks like but it isn't natural.

Thanks for sharing.

Sarah from Toronto Gardens said...

The only real response to this is a sincere...OMG!!!!!!! That is one FREAKY cloud formation!!!! Great you got such good pictures of it. You should submit to the Cloud Appreciation Society. Awesome in the true sense of the word.

Kylee Baumle said...

There's a Cloud Appreciation Society??

blogger templates | Make Money Online