Friday, August 24, 2007

A Blog Called "Sketch Life"


I love it when I come across a wonderful blog that I hadn't seen before, like I did today. Technically this blogger came across mine first. Lisa Mertins e-mailed me this afternoon to ask if I minded if she'd linked to my blog in her post entitled The Enchanting Gold Bug in her blog on the Orange County Register called Sketch Life. I visited the link she provided and was pleased and surprised to see that she had referred to my post about the Golden Tortoise Beetle.


While that certainly made my day, I was even more thrilled to discover her wonderful, charming, and sometimes quirky watercolor sketches. Her narrations are pretty good, too. In fact, I can't really tell if the illustrations came first, or the words that go along with them; they're both fun.

Watercolor is my first love when it comes to art. I actually did a watercolor of my own, once upon a time during an art class I took at Wassenberg Art Center in Van Wert. Well, it wasn't all my own, because I copied a watercolor print that was on the front of a Christmas card we'd received. Let me tell you, as someone who doesn't have an abundance of natural artistic talent, this was HARD! And that's why I only did one and may never do another as long as I live. I'll just admire the talents of other artists that do them, like Lisa.

Lisa is a journalist and illustrator for the Orange County Register in California and I've placed a link to her column in my list of Other Blogs I Read located on the left side of this page. I'll be enjoying her charming and amazing artwork on a regular basis. I mean, besides her artistic talent, she loves shoes too, and that alone makes us instant friends.

Lisa has also written and illustrated a children's book, Ginkgo and Moon.


3 comments:

Mary said...

Kylee, thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm so sorry you are experiencing horrible flooding and heat and I hope you dry out very soon!

Here in Charlotte, we are having record breaking extreme heat and record breaking severe drought! I'd gladly take some of your water.

That chubby butt spider made me laugh!

I admire anyone who can do watercolor. Great job!

kate said...

I will have to tour over to Lisa's blog. Your watercolour is pretty.

Catherine said...

Your water color is beautiful! I envy you, I would love to be talented enough to paint! I am on my way to check out lisa's blog. thanks for sharing!

blogger templates | Make Money Online