Monday, August 6, 2007

Look What I Found!


Trifolium repens

It's been ages since I just came across one of these without even looking for it. Yesterday I was digging out around some bushes and there it was. It took a few seconds for it to register what I'd seen and even then I figured it was an optical illusion. Sometimes when you think you see one, it turns out to be one superimposed on another. But this was the real deal.

I know a place where the sun is like gold,
And the cherry blooms burst with snow,
And down underneath is the loveliest nook,
Where the four-leaf clovers grow.

One leaf is for HOPE, and one is for FAITH,
And one is for LOVE, you know,
And God put another in for LUCK
If you search, you will find where they grow.

But you must have HOPE, and you must have FAITH,
You must LOVE and be strong – and so –
If you work, if you wait, you will find the place
Where the four-leaf clovers grow.

~ Ella Higginson


10 comments:

kate said...

As luck would have it, I just returned from the post office. The Girl in the Cafe is on its way to you!

I have never found a four-leaved clover!

Unknown said...

Now THIS is the third bit of synchronicity we've shared in the last few days. Last week my mother commented that her mother, my grandmother Chisholm, could be walking around the lawn, look down at a patch of clover, and pick out a four leaf one. On Wednesday, I think it was, I looked down at a patch of clover under my feet and picked up a four leaf clover myself! I took a photo of it but haven't posted it--and because I got called out for a few hours it didn't get pressed into a book before it got wilted, as I had planned. Do you suppose I can do it again this week? (we have LOTs of clover.....:-)

joey said...

Though I have looked since childhood, I have NEVER found a
'4-leaf clover'. How lucky you are!

Connie said...

Cool!

Barbara said...

If that is really a four leaf clover then it is the first I have ever seen. Congratulations.
I have tagged you on my blog. Come over and take a look if you can. I hope you can play.

Carol Michel said...

Lucky you! And lucky Jodi!

It's been awhile since I've found a four leaf clover, and I really had to look.

One year I grew four leaf clovers from seed from Parks, but it didn't feel lucky, it felt like I was cheating.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Kylee Baumle said...

I used to find them quite regularly when I was a kid. I'd sit in the grass and look through a patch of white clover and could usually find at least one. It's been ages and ages since I've done that, probably when our girls were little.

Carol, I grew Trifolium repens 'Purpurascens Quadrifolium' one year and most of the leaflets have four leaves in that. I love the color of it but Romie hated it, because it spilled over into the yard and came up for three years after that, in the grass. He does not like clover in his grass. I thought it looked rather cool. ;-)

Rosengeranium said...

I used to hunt four leaves clovers when I was a kid too. Public lawns have plenty of white clover, so all we had to do was to sit down and look.

Boy, those early childhood memories...

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Ah you've fallen in clover here I see and not just the ordinary one either, but the four leaved kind. Lucky you and Jodi too I see.

Muum said...

As Napoleon Dynamite would say, "Lucky!" - what a fun post.

blogger templates | Make Money Online