Sunday, August 19, 2007

Taking a Sunday Nap


As I was walking through the garden this morning, I noticed this grasshopper laying in the red zinnia. At first, I thought he was dead, but when I touched him, he moved a little, so I'm guessing he was just taking a nap. We'd had rain overnight and it's still cloudy and looks like we could get more. It's one of those days where you feel like you could just spend the entire day snoozing on the couch.

Or a zinnia.

Join Green Thumb Sunday



EDIT: You may have noticed the grasshopper is missing a hind leg. Alarmingly, this seems to be the case with the majority of grasshoppers observed on Our Little Acre this summer. More often than not, they will be missing a hind leg, and almost always the left one. There has to be some reason for this, and I can't think it's a good one. We don't use pesticides other than neem oil, so I can't imagine that it's anything we're doing. The farmers use other things though, so that might be one possibility. Is there some explanation for this that any of you have heard before?



9 comments:

Laurie and Chris said...

A Nap? Sounds like a good idea to me. Great picture. Have a good GTS.

min hus said...

Great pic! And great Zinnia!

Aiyana said...

Wonderful photo. I'm still trying to catch an insect on a plant, but I've had no such luck. The zinnia's color is striking.
Aiyana

MrBrownThumb said...

Nice capture, even if I think Grasshoppers are on the ugly side.

Muum said...

That is weird about the missing leg problem? no thoughts on that. Somehow we have gotten off light here this season, I have seen few grasshoppers.

Anonymous said...

This is great photography of nature up close. The grasshopper is amazing and the flower is so vibrant.
Sara from farmingfriends

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Kylee, that is a fascinating picture of the grasshopper and zinnia! I love it!

Annie in Austin said...

Unless you did it with the mower, Kylee, my guess is that the insect was caught by a bird and lost a limb getting away. The birds hang around when we're working outside, waiting for us to make a grasshopper or cricket jump away from us and toward them. Sometimes they don't get a good grip and you see the bug fall from their beaks.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Oh goodness, this made me chuckle out loud. I love the photo too! The contrast is just sooooo cool! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

blogger templates | Make Money Online