Sunday, February 3, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday - Nodding Ladies' Tresses


Spiranthes cernua var. odorata

Continuing along the wildflower theme started by Elizabeth Joy at Wildflower Morning, this Nodding Ladies' Tresses is a native orchid to Ohio. I bought one when Mom and I went to the Master Gardener's Conference in Columbus in September. It doesn't have that typical orchid look to it, but it has a loveliness all its own.

The petals of the flowers are arranged in a spiral configuration along its tall spike. It's slightly fragrant, but nothing to make note of. Hardy to zone 5, I can attest to the fact that this is one tough orchid. Only when we got a hard freeze did it give up its show. Light frosts didn't harm it a bit. We'll see if it makes it through spring in my garden. I imagine it will, since its foliage still has a greenish cast to it - not brown and mushy like a lot of other things.


Join Green Thumb Sunday


9 comments:

Aiyana said...

This is a different kind of orchid. I'm surprised it can grow outside. I always thought orchids were tropical and wouldn't take cold. That's what I love about GTS, I learn something new all the time!
Aiyana

Mark said...

I love native orchids just as much as the tropical ones, the natives are much easier though.

Melanie Chopay said...

Thanks Kylee for featuring such a cool plant. I'm a perennial nut and yet I don't remember ever seeing one of these.

Checking my much dog-eared list of plants from a local nursery I'm surprised to find out that it's for sale right in the next town. It will definitely have to go on the never ending "wish list".

Barbara said...

I like that first picture with the contrast of the plant against the stone.

Muum said...

I have never heard of this - it is a great surprise, and so unusual and pretty.

Kerri said...

It's certainly very different from the tropical orchids in your previous post. I love the shape and the arrangement of the flower stalk.

Unknown said...

What a unique flower! Thanks for sharing. The perspective in your second photo is great too!

Ewa said...

That's great you can grow orchid outside. It looks very lovely. Curious about spring.
Thank you for leaving a comment about moss on my blog - I also do it :) bring sometimes some moss home ;)
Greetings,

Lisa at Greenbow said...

A gorgeous plant. It might be the only orchid I could be successful with since all the indoor orchids I have don't ever rebloom.

blogger templates | Make Money Online