Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Stellar Lunar Event


8:51 PM

As regular readers of this blog may know, we love astronomical events here at Our Little Acre. Whenever there's something unusual (or even usual) going on in the sky, you can find us out in the backyard craning our necks to look skyward.


9:53 PM

Last night, there was an exceptionally good opportunity to see a total lunar eclipse during a full moon. The sky was crystal clear, making for perfect viewing, but that also meant it was frigidly cold. 9° cold. But that didn't stop me from going out and snapping a few pictures.

I did try opening a window in the family room and taking a few from there, during which time Baby made a jailbreak and jumped outside. Needless to say, her trip outside didn't last long. She isn't used to cold like that.



9:59 PM


Previous posts about sky events:



7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow the moon looked so red in your picture. A friend of mine that was out of town said that it looked red to him too. Here it appeared more yellow orange. I wonder if the atmospheric conditions are what made the difference?? I wish I knew more about the night sky. We could see Orion with his saber. I couldn't pick out saturn. Usually we can but not last night. So much to know about the stars. I get so confused looking up. U an one of those that can't get my N & S, E& W figured out most of the time.

kate said...

These are good pictures - I was just checking out Entangled's pictures. I knew you'd have some great ones here too!

The photoshopped picture in your earlier post is really cool.

Meg said...

The photo you snapped just before 10 is great! We had snow snow showers all yesterday afternoon and evening, but they moved out right around 8:30--perfect timing. I'm so glad we got to see it. What a show!

Entangled said...

Nice pictures! I didn't think I was going to get to see the real thing, but the sky cleared up here just before the eclipse started.

Unknown said...

Your pictures are really good and detailed. My little Easyshare didn't do so well, but I did get some. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I started to take a picture, and my camera battery went! I hate that. Yours are great.

Kylee Baumle said...

Lisa ~ It was definitely red here and yes, I'll bet the atmosphere affected what you saw. There's a great website called Heavens Above where you can put in your location and it will show what the night sky looks like at any given hour of the day. Maybe that will help!

Kate ~ Thanks! I just got a thought - would this event be called a solar eclipse if you were standing on the moon?

Meg ~ Yes, it really was exceptional! I'm so glad the clouds cleared out and you were able to view it!

Entangled ~ I'm going to head over to your site and see your pics! I never get tired of seeing things like this, do you?

Matt & Jen ~ There are some really great pictures out there, but even if ours aren't the best, we got to see the real thing and you can't improve on that!

vonlafin ~ Oh no!! I had that happen to me today while trying to take pictures of the house finches. They are getting so RED! My camera uses both rechargeables and regular AAs, so luckily I had some spare batteries around. I need to buy new rechargeables though. They just don't hold a charge anymore.

blogger templates | Make Money Online