Friday, February 15, 2008

Wildflowers in Winter - A Stitch in Time


I've had a lot of passions throughout the course of my life. First this, then that, but always something that seems to take up a majority of my time, thoughts, and energy. For the past few years, it's been gardening, but in the 1980s it was counted cross-stitch. I made many things - pictures, Christmas ornaments, baby bibs, and a Precious Moments quilt for Kara's bed.

In 1984, I started stitching on a piece of wool for an afghan. It had sixteen squares and each square was to have a different wildflower stitched onto it. While I'd been working on it, my grandma had been watching and always commented on how beautiful it was going to be. I got it about halfway finished and for some reason that I can't remember now, I put it aside in the cedar chest where it remained for the next 11 years.

Sometime in the late '80s I lost my passion for stitching and went on to other things. Then in 1995, my grandma was in a serious car accident. A young man ran a stop sign and broadsided her on the driver's side - and she was the driver. At 80 years old and for the second time in her life, she was nearly killed by injuries suffered in a car accident. In 1968, she and my grandpa were in another and my grandpa died.


Grandma's injuries were nearly the same as the first time: broken pelvis, broken arm, broken leg, and a severe concussion. In addition, this time she lost her left kidney and her lung and heart were bruised. She was life-flighted to a Fort Wayne hospital via the Samaritan. She lived and made a complete recovery, just as she had the first time.

Imagine! Eighty years old and going through this again! Grandma didn't lose her sense of humor though. Once it was determined that she would be okay, she told us, "If this ever happens again, just leave me lying on the ground for 24 hours and if I'm still alive, then you can call 911."



The Christmas following the accident, I wanted to finish the cross-stitch afghan and give it to Grandma. It's difficult to do something for which you no longer have the desire, but I wanted to surprise her and I finished it in time. Grandma was surprised and very pleased to receive it. Today, it lays draped over a chair in her family room, where she spends most of her time with her kitty, Abigail. She was 93 years old the day after Christmas and is still in good health.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join Elizabeth Joy at Wildflower Morning as she marks the time
until spring with weekly wildflower themes.

17 comments:

Beth said...

That afghan is just beautiful--it must make your grandmother very happy to see it every day. Nice post, thanks
Beth

Frances, said...

Kylee, that was a most moving story and your grandma is an amazing woman, still with that sense of humor. She must be dearly treasured by all. How wonderful a gift is the beautiful afghan. Thanks for telling its story, and hers.

Frances at Faire Garden

Kylee Baumle said...

Beth ~ You should have heard my grandma when I told her I wanted to borrow the afghan for a little while (to take pictures of it for this post) and she was real hesitant to let it go! LOL. Then I decided I didn't really need to borrow it; I would just take pictures at her house. That should have been my first thought anyway!

Frances ~ You should see her in person! She's about 4' 9", if that, and a pretty amazing person.

Bob said...

Yay, it's Grandma Garage!!!

Wonderful to see her doing well and looking good!

Elizabeth Joy said...

I am so touched by this story. What a dear grandma. She must still have an important purpose in life to have survived another accident. May God bless her and bless you for bringing such joy to her. Your work, and the wildflowers are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful story.

Jared said...

A great story with a beautiful memento to go with it. That's perfect for your genealogical records!

Jared

Jean said...

What a sad, but lovely story, has encouraged me to continue with some very old unfinished works, one of which I have now got out and hope to finish, I started when still at school, and this year will celebrate my 70th birthday!
Thank you for the inspiration.

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

I admire your grandma. I recently visited my 90-year-old great aunt. Whew! She still works out every single day, three days a week lifting weights at the gym. And very, very funny too.

It's a lovely gift you've given your grandmother!

Robin at Bumblebee

Anonymous said...

Oh good for you for finishing this project and how wonderful that you gave it to your Grandma. She looks like a sweetheart! I'm also impressed at your skills. What a wonderful talent. Enjoy...

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Kylee you are such a talented lady. I would say you and your Grandma are both mightly blessed.

La Tea Dah said...

What a touching story. And what a wonderful, spunky grandmother you have! A very special lady!

Your afghan is beautiful --- and very well done. I'm so glad you shared it with us! Thank you!

LaTeaDah

Ewa said...

Kylee, that's a beautiful story - I loved it. You are very talented - your works look great.
That story is a memento to us to take care of ourselves better and maybe consider gym (for those who do not do it) as Robin told us abour her aunt.
Yeh, let's do something for ourselves coming spring :)

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, Thank you for sharing your wonderful afghan and the how and why it was completed. (I tried counted cross stitch, but I Never did as much as you did!) You are so fortunate that your grandmother is so well. What a sense of humor! I assume you inherited that from her! :-) Has she gardened in the past, and does she enjoy yours?

Unknown said...

Your grandma was right--that afghan does look beautiful all finished! What a lovely story, Kylee... and what a spunky lady your grandmother is. :)

Anonymous said...

What a special gift to still have your grandmother. God is so good! Your afghan is beautiful and looks lovely in your grandmother's house. Your needlework is lovely, too!

Lana G! said...

Okay, your grandma is a champ! Love her sense of humor. What a wonderful post to go with the gorgeous afghan you made her. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I did the cross stitch thing in the 80's too. I never finished the Christmas stocking for my Husband. I just can't get into it anymore, I will try and get inspired from your story....but I'm not "counting" on it!

blogger templates | Make Money Online