Saturday, March 20, 2010

"Indiana Gardener" Feature Writer


I suppose it's every writer's dream to be a published author one day, with "published" having several different meanings, depending on who you talk to.  In my mind, it used to mean that a writer got paid for their writing that made it in print.  But with blogging and e-zines and other digital venues, the definition has gotten a little fuzzy.

This blog, Our Little Acre, has been around since January 2007, when I started writing it as a means of journaling about my gardens and sharing what I did now that our girls no longer lived at home.  Little did I know what incredible opportunities blogging would send my way!

In January, I was contacted about the possibility of doing some freelance writing for a new gardening magazine.  It was to be called Indiana Gardener and even though I live in Ohio, I've spent a great deal of time in the Hoosier state.  I've worked in New Haven/Ft. Wayne for 33 years now and spent three years at Indiana University (IPFW) in Ft. Wayne before graduating with an Associate in Science in Dental Hygiene before that.  My garden is a mere 10 miles from the Indiana state line.

(I also like to remind my Indiana friends and co-workers that Ft. Wayne, New Haven, Auburn, and other eastern Indiana cities and towns were once officially part of Ohio, which became a state in 1803 and I've got a reproduction of the 1804 Ohio map to prove it!)

I agreed to do some writing for the magazine and now the long-awaited launch date is here! The premier issue of Indiana Gardener is on news stands now.  It has a distribution in nine northeast Indiana counties as well as Paulding County in Ohio. It can be found in Kroger, Scott's, and Meijer stores, as well as other locations, such as restaurants and convenience stores.

'Prinses Irene' tulips in my 2009 garden

This is my first paid writing job, which for me is a milestone.  I once said that I didn't enjoy writing. I loved editing ("You write it, I'll fix it.") and spent two years as an editor of an online and print magazine several years ago. I wrote an article or two for that magazine when asked, but  preferred wearing the editor's hat.

Now, I love to write. In fact, I have to write.  I'm much like those who are runners - they don't feel like their day is complete unless they've been running.  That's how it is for me with my writing.  If I didn't enjoy it so much, Our Little Acre would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

And now I've written something that someone was willing to put a price on. They like my photography, too.  I've got four articles in Indiana Gardener this month and five photographs, including the cover.  I'm a "published" author.  It's like they say, "Do what you love and the money will follow." While I don't earn enough from writing to give up my day job (nor would I want to, because I love that, too), this is still pretty sweet.


EDIT: This issue of Indiana Gardener is now viewable online in its entirety here.

29 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Congrats Kylee. I hope to find an issue so I can read your article and see your photos. I know they will be wonderful.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, this is SOOOOOO EXCITING! Congratulations - I am So Happy for you! Yippeeee!

ScottHokunson said...

Great news Kylee, Congratulations!

The Running Garlic said...

How Wonderful! Congratulations!! What a blessing .. doing what you love. Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Wow hun, that is so neat! I will be looking for it!!

Anonymous said...

I remember the thrill of those first cheques, Kylee. Congratulations, my friend! Well done and continued success with your contributions!

Dave said...

Congrats Kylee!

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

Kylee, congratulations. I'm glad you're getting paid too. Writers should get paid for their work just like anyone else. Good job.~~Dee

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Congratulations, Kylee! I hope to find a copy! I'm not a writer and don't enjoy doing it, but I do love garden and nature photography. I'd love for some of my pictures to be published one day, in the mean time I just keep practicing!

Sabrina said...

Congratulations! One of the reasons I follow your blog is because of the quality of your writing. Glad to hear that others recognize your talent as well!

Lona said...

Congratulations Kylee! I think that is such a marvelous opportunity. I hope you will enjoy the new gig. Okay, if we must loan you out a little to Indiana we will.LOL!
Lona

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Congratulations. Awesome opportunity.

Kathy Green said...

Congratulations on your first "paid" writing gig. I'm sure it will be every bit as good as what you post on your blog. BTW I have the same camera as you, it takes great pictures doesn't it? Kathy

Benjamin Vogt said...

Very cool. It's rare to get paid for writing, any amount. And I had no idea a part of IN was once OH--I love learning stuff like that (and I've lived in both states!).

MRBROWNTHUMB said...

I've said it on Twitter & Facebook, but I'll say it here too: congrats Kylee.

I'll be able to say I knew you when.

VP said...

Fantastic - congratulations Kylee :)

F Cameron said...

Congratulations!

If you're like me, 100% of your writing pay goes back into the garden. :-)

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Imagine having your cake and eating it too :-) Like Cameron said I reckon we know where the pay check will be going !

I'm so happy for your well-deserved success, Kylee.

Melanie J Watts said...

Congratulations Kylee, I'm so glad you were able to make your writing dream come true!

Heather's Garden said...

Congrats, Kylee. I clicked through to read your article (completely missing where you had written that you had 4 articles) and was surprised to keep turning a page to find another. Great job!

Victoria said...

Big congrats, Kylee! That is soooo cool! Good for you.

Christine B. said...

You are so fortunate to be paid for doing what you love. Best wishes on your new adventure.

Christine in Alaska

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Congratulations on the new gig! I'm sure you'll be as successful at is as you've been with the blog.

Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Leave it to me to be WAY behind on the news! HUGE, huge congrats, Kylee!

Nutty Gnome said...

Congratulations Kylee - I've loved your writing ever since I came across your blog, so it doesn't suprise me that they asked you to write for them!

I remember Ft. Wayne! Many, many years ago (about ....no, no, I can't admit it!) I worked for the Boy Scouts of America for the summer. We did a Roving Cub Day Camp and one of the places we worked was Ft. Wayne!
Small world eh?! :)

Gilly in Ariège said...

Congratulations Kylee, that is wonderful news and from what I have seen of your writing, well deserved.

Connie said...

Congrats, Kylee....so proud of you!

Martha said...

Kylee does an outstanding job on Indiana Gardener! For those of you out of the readership area it is available on line. Google The Papers Inc., Milford Indiana. Click on publications and go to ig! Enjoy! And thanks to Kylee again!
--------------------------------
Martha Stoelting
Associate Editor-Indiana Gardener

Kylee Baumle said...

Thank you, Everyone, for taking the time to give me your well wishes and congratulations. I'm proud to be a part of this publication and humbled by their choosing me to contribute to it.

Robin ~ Your photos are indeed print worthy, Robin! The right person just hasn't seen them yet. I'm in awe of your photographic skills!

Lona ~ You're so cute! I'll always be a true Buckeye. Don't worry! ;-)

Martha ~ Thank you so much for your confidence in me and for finding me in the first place.

blogger templates | Make Money Online