Friday, March 26, 2010

It Doesn't Take Much to Make Me Smile!


Even though we've just been through one of the most pleasant winters I can remember - no really frigid temperatures and just the right amount of snow - I'm always giddy with the prospect of spring.  I get even giddier when spring actually arrives!

At least once a day I make the rounds through my gardens to see what's up and what's blooming. It seems there's always something new every day that puts a smile on my face and makes me glad to be a gardener.

The Hellebores emerged from under the huge snow drift a few weeks ago. The weight of the snow had them smooshed flat, but I could see buds trying to make it as well as new baby seedlings coming up.


Helleborus x hybridus 'Red Lady'

Helleborus 'Silvermoon'



Some of the foliage was black and ugly, so I trimmed some of that away and in no time, the plants perked up and the flowers were on their way. I've only had the plants for a few years and they don't yet bloom as profusely as some hellebores I've seen, but they still hold me under their spell.


Iris reticulata 'Harmony' is one of my very favorite spring blooms...





The deep, deep purple of its velvety petals, along with the pattern of spots has me wanting to be a bee and crawl inside. Yes, that's what those intricate patterns are for - to attract and lead pollinators to the goods. They get started early in the season, too!






I love Crocus of all kinds, simply because they're one of the earliest spots of color to appear. I'm partial to the striped ones, but my favorites by far are Crocus sieberi subsp. sublimis 'Tricolor.'

Crocus sieberi subsp. sublimis 'Tricolor'

You can see how they acquired the 'Tricolor' part of their name, which is why they appeal to me, as well.  They're a bit smaller than the crocus most people are familiar with, but they sure make up for that in flashy color.


Another favorite is Glory of the Snow (Chionodoxa forbesii).  They seem to glow, the color is so intense. I've got them in a couple of different locations.  
Chionodoxa forbesii

In a small town near us, a large drift of them covers the ground below a small wooded area. I love driving by it when they're in full bloom (now!).


I wonder how long ago the first bulbs were planted and how many. Mine have naturalized quite well in the short time I've had them, but that's a lot of "glory!"


The daffodils are budded, but haven't bloomed here yet, although I've seen some flowering in town. It's warmer there than it is out in the country where we are. I saw Forsythia blooming there more than a week ago too, but mine have yet to bloom.



While I'm still anxious for warmer weather to arrive, I hate to wish spring away. Each day brings a miracle of new life that I want to savor! And besides, there are plenty of spring chores to do before summer arrives.  Even raking the leaves out of the flower beds can be fun. I've found where the ladybugs live and there's all kinds of new growth going on under those leaves.

Lily enjoys my raking, too.



3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Don't you just love this time of year. Bopping around the garden finding this and that blooming. Lily is such a cute kitty peeking out of those leaves.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I'm like a kid in a candy store at this time of year in the garden. I know how you feel about Hellebores. Already I'm starting to take too many photos of Hellebores, and I have quite a collection of shots of my new Iris reticulata 'Harmony.' I'm looking forward to the sheets of blue of Scilla siberica that cover lawns around here every spring.

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, Kylee! I love the one of the Dutch iris from ground level... absolutely gorgeous. :)

blogger templates | Make Money Online