Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bloom Week Continues!


Not only did more blooms appear for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Week, they did so within hours of my previous post.  It almost seems as if you could sit and catch them in the act of opening up.

Puschkinia


Glory of the Snow (Chionodoxa forbesii)


Splendor in the grass - Crocus tommasinianus


Iris reticulata 'Harmony'


Iris reticulata 'Spring Time'


This may be my very favorite crocus of all - Crocus siberii 'Tricolor'


I started to make a list of things that are either emerging from the ground (Fern leaf peony), showing signs of growth from their crowns (Agastache), or even leafing out (Hibiscus), but it would be easier to make a list of those things that aren't doing any of those things.

The talk about town is that of fear of freezing weather yet to come which could zap all the tender new  growth and blooms.  Of course that could happen, but we're due for an early spring. I'm choosing to think positively and enjoying every glorious degree that starts with a six and has another number after it.



5 comments:

Diane said...

That tricolor crocus is to die for!

I'm watching the weather reports anxiously as well... they say we'll only get *to* 32, not below, and the days will still be warm(ish). I'm not too worried about the new shoots and buds; they've weathered far worse. I'm more worried about my own psyche. I have spring fever and I don't want anything to interfere with it!

Melanie J Watts said...

I love Puschkinia. In my garden they have naturalized and I have every expanding clumps of them.
Today I found the tender green shoots of Papaver orientale emerging out of the ground where the sun had melted some of the snow away. Now I feel like I'm keeping up with all you southern, to me anyway , gardeners :)

Melody said...

I think Puschkinias are so pretty, but I have never tried to grow them. They would probably have to be replanted every year because the winters aren't that cold here.

Unknown said...

If I remember correctly, the glory of the snow are some of your favorites... but I really adore that cute little puschkinia! The blue line down the middle of each etal really makes me smile--maybe it reminds me of the way that I used to draw flowers as a child?

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I love Pushkinia & Chionodoxa. I was supposed to plant some last fall & I don't know what happened. I planted Pushkinia at my sister's grave years ago, and every spring they delight visitors. Last year my aunt called me to ask what they were, she was so charmed by them.

blogger templates | Make Money Online