Monday, October 1, 2007

African Violet Minis


Last weekend, when Kara and Adam came for my birthday party, she brought my gift. Part of it was two miniature African Violets. I've got several regular-sized ones and while everyone says they're very easy to grow, my previous history with them belies that. However, in the last year, I've been quite successful with them, so Kara just added to my collection in a small way (pun intended).

They came in teeny tiny pots set in a wicking water reservoir. I don't normally keep my avies as wet as these stay, so I kind of wonder how this is going to work. They look good now and I have no idea how long they've been in this arrangement - probably long enough to kill them if it were going to - so maybe my fears are unfounded.

I checked online to see if I needed to do anything special in the way of caring for them and Rob's Violets says to treat them no differently than I would my other African Violets, other than to never pot them in anything larger than a 2½" container. They will never grow to be any bigger than 6".

Aren't they cute?


5 comments:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

These are so adorable! By the way, Happy Birthday!!!!!! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Lynda Lehmann said...

I've had some success with African Violets over the years. I've read that they like to be "pot-bound," which I guess means tight in their containers. If I water from the bottom and don't overdo it, they thrive. Good luck with these little ones!

-Lynda from Peripheral Vision

Unknown said...

These ARE adorable--the only drawback to saintpaulias of any size is that they are terrific cat-hair magnets unless put out of reach of inquiring noses and tentative paws....

Muum said...

lovely! I love African Violets. killed a few in my day, too, unfortunately.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Very cute those mini violets. I love them and unfortunately my Maine Coon Vita loves them too. She bites off all the flowerheads, so no more African Violets for me, I'm afraid. sigh!

blogger templates | Make Money Online