Thursday, October 4, 2007

Birth is Imminent


Last Tuesday, the Monarch caterpillar that I'd brought in from the garden became a pupa. This week, I've been watching it for changes and signs that within that tiny emerald sac, the liquid goo was miraculously becoming a butterfly. I worried that it would have finished its metamorphosis and emerge yesterday.

I worked all day yesterday and was away from home. I actually considered taking the bowl to work with me so I wouldn't chance missing it. As soon as I got home last night, I ran into the dining room to check on it. Still the same gorgeous green with the glistening gold spots. Whew!

But then I started worrying (and still am) that The Big Event would happen this Friday or Saturday, when Mom and I are traveling to Cleveland. I really hope I don't have to take that bowl with us on our trip, but I just might do that. I do NOT want to miss this!

This morning, I checked the chrysalis and it was different. It has started to dull on the outside and on one side, I can see the dark colors of the wings through the casing. Woo hoo!!!! There's a butterfly in there and it's close to beginning to make its way into this world.

I moved it outside on the patio under the shade of the Trumpet Vine-covered pergola. I'll be checking on it about every half hour and will keep you posted on the pre-birth events. I have no idea how long it will be until we see the baby butterfly, but I intend to be there and record it, so you can see it, too.


EDIT: Upon further research, I see that it takes approximately 24 hours after the change in outside appearance for emergence to begin. This could get really interesting . . .


3 comments:

Bob said...

I look forward to seeing it hatch (if thats the right term). Keep us informed.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I am so excited!!!! I can't wait! I've never seen this before so this is going to be a really cool thing. I'm so glad your documenting and sharing this. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Lynda Lehmann said...

Very interesting, Kylee! Maybe you'll be lucky and be there to take photos as it emerges. Then you can share them with us. Thanks for the interesting post!

blogger templates | Make Money Online