Sunday, October 14, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday - Tigridia


Tigridia pavonia

The Mexican Shell Flower is a tender bulb/corm that I've grown in my garden for two summers now. It's only hardy to zone 8, so I have to lift it in the fall, but the speckled blooms in various colors of pink, yellow, orange, white and red make it worth the trouble.

The
sword-like foliage resembles that of gladiolus, although a bit more slender. Each bloom only lasts about a day, but I've had mine reopen a second day. As the bulbs mature, I'm told I may get multiple blooms on one stalk, but I haven't experienced that yet.

The petals of the blooms are somewhat fragile and the stems tend to fall over, so planting them in a sunny area that's protected from strong winds is recommended. Tigridia is suitable for growing in containers.


Join Green Thumb Sunday

9 comments:

RUTH said...

I grew some of these in a pot last year and was entranced by them. I did protect the pot but unfortunately they didn't make it through the winter. I'll have to look out for some more next year and remember to lift them properly. Happy GTS :o)

Gina said...

kylee - these are awesome! i can't keep up with my wish list because I keep adding more and more stuff like this...

Priscilla George said...

That is a beautiful flower. I have never heard of it before. I'm putting the mexican shell flower on my future must haves list.

Aiyana said...

This is a beautiful flower. I've not seen anything quite like it. Happy GTS,
Aiyana

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Oooooo how spectacular and tropical looking! I really like it! Oh by the way, Hubby is now hooked on the roses that you've featured and wants them as badly as I do. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Lynda Lehmann said...

Another beautiful and fantastic bloom! Wow, so gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Lovely bulb, Kylee--I don't have enough patience to grow tender bulbs (and would feel guilty if I didn't lift them) so I'll just salivate gently over yours. Must remember not to drool on the laptop, though.

Muum said...

This is wonderful. I have not seen these before, thanks!

kate smudges said...

What gorgeous colours ... I like these. The foliage must be a bit like the Abyssinian lilies.

blogger templates | Make Money Online