Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Garden Blogger Meet!


After having a tasty breakfast at our hotel this morning, I gave Kim (a.k.a. blackswampgirl) a call as we'd previously discussed and we all headed towards Strongsville to meet at the Petitti Garden Center there.

Kim had given me a brief description of herself so that I would be able to recognize her when we met, but I think I was too busy gawking at the wares at the entrance to Petitti's that when she said hello, it just didn't register with me who she was! I told her that I was quite surprised at how young she looked, because from her blog posts she sounds mature for her years. I won't tell you how old she is (although I know), but not only does she sound older than she is, she looks younger than she is, too! What a great combination!

I have to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed browsing the aisles of Petitti's with Kim, discussing foliage, blooms, habits, and other characteristics of the various plants we saw. We spent about an hour and a half together and the time just flew by. It was as if we were old friends getting together instead of just meeting for the first time.

I purchased a few things here, one a recommendation from Kim - Hakone Grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'). I'd been wanting another grass that grows well in the shade and Kim assured me this one did. I also bought a hardy Fuschia ('Cape Horn'™) and I'm anxious to see how this fares through our zone 5 winter. To add to my green Santolina, I got a small pot of the gray. Astrantia is one of my favorite plants, so I had to buy 'Hadspen Blood' when I saw it here. And finally, Viola 'Fuji Dawn' made its way onto my cart. I could have bought a few other things, including some beautifully healthy Japanese Anemones and a Beautyberry shrub, but there was no room left in Mom's car to take them home.

This Petitti's didn't disappoint me either. It had pretty much the same plant offerings as the Avon store, although the Avon store is larger in size. The staff was very available and quite friendly and helpful. That means so much when you find a plant you're not familiar with and want to know a bit more information than the identification tag tells you.

Kim and I exchanged gifts, with Kim sharing a division of one of her hostas, 'Dawn,' as well as a rock she had excavated from her yard for me to put on my cairn. It had some clay clinging to it, which is not normal in her gardens, so she said it needed to 'go home.' It will feel right at home in my clay-ridden garden, which Kim knew, since she grew up near me. As
we said our goodbyes, we voiced our intentions to visit one another's gardens and trade some plants.

Mom, Sue and I piled back into the plant-filled car and began the trip home, with a stop scheduled for the Schedel Arboretum and Gardens just outside Elmore, Ohio. That visit will get its own post, coming up next.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Kylee, you were way too nice with your description of me! If I look younger than I am, it's just because you were sweet enough to overlook the laugh lines as the corners of my eyes and my first gray hairs. *grin* (By the way, I don't care if anyone knows how old I am... I'm 31.)

We did have lots of fun, didn't we? And we could have gotten into a lot more trouble with all of those gorgeous plants around, so I feel pretty good about that. :) I would love to "steal" this picture of us to add to my post, too, by the way, if you don't mind. None of mine turned out this well, unfortunately.

Kylee Baumle said...

Kim, I think it's mainly those crystal clear blue eyes that give you that 'youthful' look. They're gorgeous! Mom said so, too. :-)

Absolutely, you may use the picture!

Unknown said...

This was great fun--I'm so envious, up here in the Hinterland, not being able to meet up with some of my garden bloggin' friends except electronically. Your purchases sound terrific, Kylee.
Now, what about your monarch??? Inquiring minds WANT to know....:-)

Mamma Sarah said...

That garden center is where my parents use to get all their wonderful plants. I'm still hunting for that perfect place down here in SW Ohio. :-D

Anonymous said...

Kylee: Thanks for posting that picture although I wasn't sure which of you was Kylee and which Kim! LOL You're both beautiful...inside and out! Glad you got to meet another blogger and to shop with one also! Good times!

kate smudges said...

It looks and sounds as if you had a wonderful time and how cool is that meeting up with Kim! Lucky for both of you, I'd say. You came away with some great purchases too.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

What a great place to meet up with a garden blogging buddy. Both of you ladies have natural beauty. Glad you had a good time together.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Well now, this is fun, we finally get to see Kim too. How lovely you both look and great that you got the chance to meet up! Wish I could have been there too.

Excellent purchases Kylee, long may they flower/florish in your garden.

Kerri said...

I'm so glad I followed your link this post which I missed earlier in the year.
What fun for you and Kim to meet, and this photo is just beautiful. It's fun to see you both :)
That nursery sounds mouth watering!

blogger templates | Make Money Online