Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What Do Your T-Shirts Say About You?


With cooler weather upon us and colder weather to come, this past weekend I switched out my closets and drawers. Summer clothes swapped places with winter ones. Now that both Kara and Jenna are out on their own, I have the luxury of using the closets and drawers in their rooms for this purpose.

It's no secret that I like clothes and though I've weeded out much of what's in those closets and drawers, I still have too much of everything. But I've got pants that are too big that I will surely fit into again, clothes that fit that are perfectly fine but for some reason or another I don't wear, and odd bits that are also perfectly fine but don't go with anything else. Please don't suggest that I get rid of these things, because I can't bring myself to do it, especially with all this closet space.

I sort my things according to type when storing them. Shirts / pants / shorts / pajamas. And then the shirts get sorted again. White shirts (you can never have too many white shirts), 'nice shirts', long-sleeved t-shirts, and t-shirts with a message. Hmmmmm . . . message. What am I trying to say? What do my t-shirts say about me?




I'm sure this one comes as no surprise to anyone, except it did to me, because it arrived in the mail last month - a birthday gift from my friend Kat, who lives in Florida. She knows me well and knew that I would love this, in fact, I had almost purchased it myself earlier this year.








I'm a big fan of Life Is Good products, and I have two other t-shirts from them. One of them reflects my love of geocaching:



I was a child in the 1960s - too young to attend Woodstock * - but I have always loved the poster advertising it, so when I saw this t-shirt in a Limited Too store several years ago, I had to have it. Limited is very smart in making their children's clothing all the way up to XXL sizes, because big kids like me can shop there and sometimes find pretty cool things that are also priced less than in their regular store.

Several of my shirts I can blame on Kara. She'll see one and say, "Mom, you need this shirt. It's so you." Here are three of them:


"Nature is Beauty"






I like vintage t-shirts and while browsing cafepress.com, this one caught my eye:

Note: If you've never ordered from cafepress.com before, most of their shirts run small. If they say order a size up, they mean it.


VistaPrint offers custom t-shirts free (except for shipping) or at a reduced price every now and then, so I thought it would be fun to get one made with my blog name and URL on it.


The back has the Marcel Proust quote that's at the top of my blog.



I rarely go into Abercrombie & Fitch, because I actually have a really strong dislike for the store, but one of their catalogs came in the mail one time a couple of years ago (addressed to Jenna) and I looked through it. I saw this t-shirt and though I'd previously told myself I'd never go into that store, this t-shirt was screaming my name. I had to shut it up by buying it. It has metallic embroiderly and beads stitched to it.

I think now that I could have lived without it, but I didn't think so at the time.


And finally, the other Life Is Good t-shirt pretty much gives you an idea of what I think nearly every day I wake up in the morning:


So, based on my t-shirts, that makes me a nature-loving, tree-hugging, litter-picker-upper, self-promoting blogging gardener and hippie wannabe who's almost always in a good mood. Oh, and I like a little bit of glitz now and then.

What do your t-shirts say about you?



_______________

*Linked for those who are either too young to know what Woodstock was, or for those who were there but can't remember.


10 comments:

Tee said...

Love this blog! Would you expect anything different from me? All my shirts are tee shirts. Yeah, I've used that line more than once. :rolling my eyes:

I can't afford the shirts I'd like to have right now, but like you, I'm fond of the "Life is Good" line (I have to have the tea cup design eventually). I like the retro look, and just about anything that sports a nature or "go green" theme, and especially spiritual designs that remind us all to live in the moment and be grateful for what we have (and dang it, stop worrying about what we ain't got).

When my book is published, I'll have enough for the shirts I want...but I'll still hope to find them in thrift shops. I'm hopeless.

Unknown said...

What a FUN post, Kylee. I'm not much on wearing t-shirts because I don't like round-necked shirts, BUT I do have a couple of unique ones; two from Canadian Coast Guard ships I've sailed on (the Hudson and the Matthew); one from Hatley (Hatleynature.com) called Despurrate housewives; another one called Hairy Potter also from Hatley, and a gorgeous, deep turquoise one with a silk, handpainted tulip scene on it that I bought at the farmer's market in Ottawa. (I wonder where that is! Must go find it.....)
Being the 'ground mole' that I am, I'm inclined to black tee-shirts when I can find ones I like, because they don't stain like light-coloured ones.

Muum said...

I am thinking that the biggest characteristic my t-shirts share is that I have to inspect them to make sure I haven't dribbled some thing on them, check for stains, etc. I guess that makes me a slob! But I do try to 'clean up well'!

Katie said...

My husband is beginning to tease my collection of LIG shirts. It's nearly all I own anymore.

Cafepress.com is my favorite website to browse if I need a laugh!

I have a new appreciation for Dr. Seuss as an adult. My favorite book is The Lorax!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love the post even tho I don't often wear tshirts. I have so few of them but most have been purchased while on trips. One has St Louis Botanical Garden, Boston Tall Ships 2000,Black Swamp Bird Observatory,Point Pelee Nat'l Park, Top of the World Barrow AK. I have several from TX. So I guess I have a few more than I thought I did. Ha... I like to think I am supporting nature or places that enhance nature when I purchase one. Now my DB has many tshirsts and wears them.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

This post really made me think. I just love how your t-shirts reflect you, Kylee! Then I thought, "What do mine have on them?" Well, mine are often blank. And when they do have something on them it is from a favorite place that I have visited. I guess that means I'm dull unless I'm travelling? ;) Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Kylee Baumle said...

You know, I wouldn't consider myself a t-shirt wearer either, but obviously I do wear them now and then!

And Cindy? Do you really think I'm a hippie wannabe? (Hint: I'm not. LOLOLOL)

Unknown said...

My Tshirt collection says that I have seen many good concerts (Pearl Jam, Radiohead, U2), played in (and won) quite a few volleyball leagues, enjoy free Tshirts from work for cleaning days, and otherwise refuse to buy shirts with any kind of pattern, picture, or message on them. :)

(Hey Lisa... Black Swamp Bird Observatory? Really? I may change my mind about shirts with words on them for that one!)

Carol Michel said...

Great post. I will admit to wearing t-shirts in the warm weather and sweatshirts when it is cold. Most of mine are green, all shades of green, but I do have some with gardening related messages, mostly given to me as gifts. My favorite, a green t-shirt that says "Eat. Sleep. Garden. Life is simple".

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I've never thought about that before Kylee. I guess my t-shirt collection says that I'm a plain, boring and very conservative person because the only kind I buy are loose, solid colors, with nothing on them. Everyone in my family has a Colts t-shirt except me.

I do like your LIG blue one with the daisy though.

blogger templates | Make Money Online