Sunday, October 28, 2007

What Would YOU Call It?


If it were your job to give an official name to the cultivar of the flower from which this petal was taken, what would you call it? Don't think too hard or you'll miss the obvious answer. I questioned Daughter #2 when she was here last weekend and she nailed it on the first guess. So did Romie.

I had forgotten about ordering this chrysanthemum last fall and this spring it arrived in the mail from Bluestone Perennials. I think maybe they ran out or something, or I may have ordered too late for it to be sent last fall, but it was a nice surprise when it got here.

Of course, you'll remember I said I was never planting mums again, but this doesn't count. I said that after this got here and was planted. Besides, as I also said before, there are exceptions to every rule.
There are so many pretty mums out there, I guess I can't help myself. This time of year, I JUST WANT THEM. But I need to figure out how to keep them alive for more than one season.

Mom and Grandma both gave me some that they had in pots and didn't want to plant in the ground, so I planted those last week. I didn't put them where I want them to stay because for one thing, I don't even know where that is. The other thing is that I want to wait and see if they live through the winter, so they are now in the Orphan Garden until next spring.


The ones I'm asking you to name, however, ARE where I want them and it's too bad I didn't take a picture of them when my 'Disneyland' rose was blooming at the same time. The colors go very well together, which is why I put them where I did in the first place. They also blend nicely with the other new mums I bought when Mom and I were in Cleveland the last time ('Bolero').

So what name rolled off your tongue when you saw that first picture at the top of the post? If you said "Matchsticks" you would be correct. That wasn't too hard now, was it?



(By the way, I did pinch these back up until July 4th, but you can't tell it, can you? Maybe they would have been even taller if I hadn't. Bluestone does list them as being tall.)


Join Green Thumb Sunday

14 comments:

verobirdie said...

Beautiful mum, very original.
And I like your "every rule has exceptions" way of gardening. I do the same.

Jean said...

What an interesting mum! Just beautiful! I can't seem to get them to come back either, even when I follow all the directions.

Anonymous said...

I love your first photo. Nature's bits and pieces are such little miracles of nature. Always something to see if we look.

Aiyana said...

I did it! The first thought that came to mind was matchstick. Usually I seem to have a different slant on things, so I'm glad to be in the mainstream this time. Lovely photos. Happy GTS,
Aiyana

Barbara said...

Wow I have a vase full of that red/yellow chrysanth on my sideboard right now.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT'S a pretty petal!

Muum said...

lovely. I always enjoy your thoughts and ideas.

Connie said...

I've never seen a mum like that....it's strange but pretty!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like the matchstick mum. I didn't get it. I don't do well on tests. :/ I do know that mums have fairly shallow roots and if you mulch them well during winter they are more reliable. I hope this will help you.

Shady Gardener said...

The photo of the lone petal was very artistic, I thought. And I didn't guess the correct answer. However, I thought I had an original answer... how about "Jack in the Pulpit?" ;-)

Beautiful, unusual mums.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I guessed it! I WAS thinking too hard at first then I realized immediately what the obvious answer was. It is a lovely mum.

I'm not sure why your mums don't live. Aren't you zone 5 too? I plant a few every year and they always come back for me. In fact I have a few that I rip out every year, I can't seem to get rid of them, they spread like crazy.

Joyismygoal said...

lighted match,match stick or fry w/ ketchup:>

Unknown said...

That is a most amazing mum...and one I think I'll look for too! Though I goofed and didn't get the name--I was just fascinated with the tubular shape and didn't really think beyond that. It's monday, after all.....

Willow said...

Didn't someone famous say, "Rules are for breaking"? Oh yeah, that was me.
I didn't get matchsticks, but now it's obvious. They really are beautiful.

blogger templates | Make Money Online