Sunday, November 15, 2009

Autumn Hangs On


I've got a death grip on autumn this year. Maybe it's because last year we had the winter that Would. Not. End. I don't look forward to what happens after Christmas, but perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised with a mild and short winter. In the meantime, we're enjoying extended warm weather and one of the most colorful autumns I can remember in recent years.

We've got flowers still blooming, including the dandelions, and I'll show you those in a bit (sans dandelions), but for now, let's enjoy the fall color of the trees, shrubs and plants from the garden.


I can't hardly wait until my Oakleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snow Queen') is larger, because in its infancy, it really stands out in the garden in fall.


I have lost the tag for this Sedum that grows in the sedum bed by our front door, but it catches fire in fall. It may be Sedum rupestre 'Blue Spruce.' I've had this awhile and that name sounds familiar.


An unnamed Heuchera glows when backlit by the sun.



New to the garden this year, Ajuga reptans 'Golden Glow' turns pinkish in fall.


Geranium sanguinium var. striatum has beautiful foliage all during the growing season, but never more so than in autumn.


Hylotelephium 'Purple Emperor' with yellowing foliage of Hylotelephium 'Autumn Fire' in the background.


Tiarella cordifolia 'Brandywine' competes for attention with its cousin, Heuchera 'Southern Comfort.'


I'm not sure if this Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' belongs here in autumn foliage or November's Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.


Another new perennial to the garden this summer is Heuchera villosa 'Christa.' This is a somewhat drastic color change from summer, where it is more golden.


Fallen Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum'Emperor I') leaves turn even the most mundane objects into works of art.


At our front door, the bird fountain enjoys the final days of unfrozen water underneath the Snow Fountain Weeping Japanese Cherry tree (Prunus 'Snow Fountain').


Two Cleveland Pear (Pyrus calleryana 'Cleveland Select') trees line our drive and are illuminated by late day sun against a crystal clear blue sky.


And the view is just as lovely as we watch the setting sun shine through the same tree...


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Brautiful! Yes, hang on to it for all you can!

Pam/Digging said...

This is a perfect Foliage Follow-Up post! I'm delighted to see your beautiful foliage post-Bloom Day, Kylee.

RURAL said...

I'm with you, we seem to be hanging onto Autumn, or maybe we are just really enjoying every rare minute of it.

Last winter was it seems the winter that wouldn't end for almost every gardener.

Gorgeous shots.

Jen

sweetbay said...

Gorgeous fall colors, and you've captured the light beautifully. I love the picture of the red maple leaves on the welcome mat. The color of the cherry is outstanding. We still have some fall color here too, mainly red maples and blueberries. The Oakleaf Hydrangeas are just turning now.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

What great fall colors Kylee! I will have to watch my Bluespruce Sedum...didn't know it would turn red. I just got an Ajuga, Burgundy Glow. Also a nice color variety.

Kylee Baumle said...

Brooke ~ Hanging on for all I'm worth!

Pam ~ Actually, this one was posted before I got my GBBD post done! I had started it a few days before and got sidetracked. I seem to do that a LOT!

Jen ~ Thanks, Jen. Yes, let's hope this winter is kinder to everyone!

sweet bay ~ My blueberries lost all their leaves several weeks ago, but you're right, they're beautiful! I don't think I paid much attention last year to the two small bushes I have. I'd like to plant more.

Janet ~ 'Burgundy Glow' is nice. I like a lot of the Ajugas. Kim of "A Study in Contrasts" brought me some of her 'Metallica Crispa" when she visited over Labor Day weekend. I hope it spreads as quickly as the original (unknown cultivar) one my mom gave me several years ago.

I'm not positive that the sedum is 'Blue Spruce,' but I think so. See if yours turns red eventually and let me know!

blogger templates | Make Money Online