Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Is This Really November?


It's ten days past Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day and only one month until Christmas. Who would have ever thought so much would be blooming outside around here?

An earlier commenter to this blog advised me to "squeeze as much out of fall as I could" and I'm doing just that. Each warmer-than-normal day sends me to the garden to see just what's hanging in there.


The fall season has been exceptional, as far as leaf color is concerned, and we're still marveling at the palette still being displayed in the gardens, even after all the leaves have fallen from the trees.

One of the most colorful has been the hardy geraniums.

Who needs flowers when the Geranium sanguineum var. striatum is blushing like this? Well, okay, if you insist...

Geranium sanguineum (unknown cultivar)



The self-sown Calendulas continue to provide sunshine in the garden when we can't see it in the sky.


Dianthus chinensis 'Telstar Scarlet'



Still going... Gaillardia 'Lemons and Oranges'



I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd neglected to take a photo of my Primula capitata 'Salvana' for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Here it is! (Still blooming.)



None of the full-sized roses are blooming anymore, but several of the minis are still going, such as this red one.



Two years ago, I planted seeds for Petunia x hybrida 'Alladin Nautical Mix.' It has self-seeded ever since and keeps blooming late into the season, even in chilly weather! This is one of the lighter shades in the mix.

Various foliage continues to evolve into beautiful works of art, such as this Hydrangea macrophylla 'Variegata':



One of the joys of autumn is the seedheads formed by so many plants. This Clematis terniflora (Sweet Autumn Clematis) is a 'star' in my book!



The Scabiosa ochroleuca continues to bloom profusely and the seedheads produced are another of my favorites.


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I'm giving thanks for the lovely warm weather we've been enjoying this month. We've only had one killing frost so far, and just a handful of light frosts. But if the weather forecasters are correct, this autumn utopia is about to leave us. We're to have snow and rain mixed tomorrow. Even so, it's sure to be warm and cozy inside as we celebrate the holiday with family.

We wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and hope that you will find much to be thankful for this year, as we have.

11 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It sure doesn't look like November. How lucky that it's been so warm.
Have a great Thanksgiving with your family.

Diana said...

Kylee -- what a beautiful late November post. It is amazing what you have blooming. I love the Clematis and the Scabiosa. Such stunning photos. I read you might have a freeze tonight - 36 here just N of Indy where we are with family for the holiday. We might get snow! Happy Holidays to you, your mom and yours.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I've enjoyed the delay of winter weather too. I can't believe that I still have clematis blooming!

joey said...

Stunning smiles on your photos, Kylee ... great shots. Indeed, we have been blessed with amazing fall weather (mixed message ... holiday candle lights glowing in neighbor's windows ~ geraniums still blooming on their front porch). Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Town Mouse said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Everything looks so beautiful...

Garden Lily said...

Kylee - I think we're having rainier than usual here, so I'm glad to see you have some good weather, and beautiful blooms and colours in your garden. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lona said...

We have had a wonderful November so far. Much better than October.It is good to see you still have some color yet in your beds.
Have a good Thanksgiving.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The snippets of color in the garden right now is amazing. A delightful bit of color for Thanksgiving.

Jim Groble said...

Your pics are wonderful. My hardy geraniums did well this year also. They look best in the fall. I'm lucky that I got some photos in before it snowed.

JulenaJo said...

Kylee, I'm in NW Ohio, too, but you have a lot more going on in your garden than I do this late in the season. It's been a mild autumn. However, it's the day after Thanksgiving and we had spitting snow all day. Winter arrived overnight!

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Kylee! I cannot identify with anyone having anything green and/or blooming outdoors these days! ha. You are fortunate to have so many lovely flowers, yet! :-)

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and/or friends. Yes - it's November. The END of November. That's a wonder to me! lol.

blogger templates | Make Money Online